Cannot connect to Oracle from GMT-xx:30 timezones with Direct Driver

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding usage of dbExpress drivers for Oracle in Delphi and C++Builder
jmbouffard

Cannot connect to Oracle from GMT-xx:30 timezones with Direct Driver

Post by jmbouffard » Thu 29 May 2014 12:47

We are using the dbExpresse driver for Oracle with the direct connection option. That is the TSQLConnection component with the "ConnectionName" property set "Devart Oracle Direct". The IDE is Embarcadero C++ Builder XE.

With this configuration we are experiencing issues when connecting to our database from some time zones, typically all GMT-xx:30 time zones, for instance:
GMT-04:30 Caracas FAILS
GMT-03:30 Newfoundland FAILS

The Oracle database itself is located in the GMT-05:00 Eastern Time Zone and we can connect to it from any other time zones in America. The issue is really easy to reproduce as you can simply switch the timezone on your PC to any of the above mentioned and the connection will start to fail.

So I would like to know if it is a bug in the direct connection driver ? And is there a workaround that could be used in our application ? For instance, would there be a way to force the driver to think it is in another time zone ?

Thanks a lot for you help.

AlexP
Devart Team

Re: Cannot connect to Oracle from GMT-xx:30 timezones with Direct Driver

Post by AlexP » Thu 29 May 2014 14:15

Hello,

We cannot reproduce the problem. Please try to reproduce the problem on the latest driver version 6.4.7.

jmbouffard

Post by jmbouffard » Thu 29 May 2014 19:05

Thanks for the fast reply. I downloaded and installed that latest DevArt Driver v6.4.7 then rebuilt my application and the behavior is exactly the same. Here is the error string that is return by the exception from the Oracle driver:
NET: OCI_NO_DATA
Thanks again for your help.

AlexP
Devart Team

Post by AlexP » Fri 30 May 2014 09:36

Thank you for the information. We have reproduced and fixed the problem. This fix will be included to the next build.