VirtualTable SaveToFile Method

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding Virtual Data Access Components for Delphi, C++Builder, Lazarus (and FPC)
sir.wally.lewis

VirtualTable SaveToFile Method

Post by sir.wally.lewis » Mon 17 Nov 2014 01:08

VirtualTable looks very exciting.

I have been looking for a memory dataset that I could save to file in a win32 system and load from file in a linux64 system.

Can virtual table handle that?

ie. It needs to save to a format that does not depend on "sizeof".

An XML format would be perfect.

AlexP
Devart Team

Re: VirtualTable SaveToFile Method

Post by AlexP » Mon 17 Nov 2014 09:29

Hello,

You can use methods SaveToFile and LoadFromFile for data loading and saving in VirtualTable on all the supported platforms. Data will be saved as binaries. To save to XML, you can use the SaveToXML method (loading from XML is not supported).

sir.wally.lewis

Post by sir.wally.lewis » Mon 17 Nov 2014 22:51

That is a bugger that LoadFromXML is not supported, it seems logical to me that if you save to XML you should also load from XML. Binary format is CPU dependent as it uses (sizeof(integer/char/etc..)) to determine the width of an element and that will be different in different systems,( win32/linux64). So for me the only logical solution is using LoadFroMXML, do you know if LoadfromXML might be supported in the future?

AlexP
Devart Team

Post by AlexP » Tue 18 Nov 2014 09:16

Sorry for inaccuracy. You can load data from the XML format (saved with the SaveToXML method) with the LoadFromFile method (having specified the generated XML file as a parameter)