Mobile MYDAC access to MYQL Database on shared Hostgator.com server

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding MyDAC (Data Access Components for MySQL) for Delphi, C++Builder, Lazarus (and FPC)
Shane1968

Mobile MYDAC access to MYQL Database on shared Hostgator.com server

Post by Shane1968 » Thu 09 Jul 2020 09:49

Hi,

Does anyone use use the MYDAC Direct Data Access Components to connect remotely from a mobile device on a Shared HostGator.com account?

The only way I can get connected at the moment if I use the wildcard % for the Remote Database access allowed IP addresses. That does not seem very secure to me.

I have also read posts by others on the Delphi Developer Facebook page, saying that you should never access the database directly from a mobile app. Who is correct? Devart say they are secure and that is what they are made for right?

Can someone please give me some more information on how to connect securely to a MYSQL database on a Shared HostGator.com account?

Support are palming the question off saying that the components work and they do not really care how securely I implement them and that it is a server question. I think that is a cop out and when developing and selling components that do something, documentation should be provided on how to use them properly.

Thank you in advance.

Shane

ViktorV
Devart Team

Re: Mobile MYDAC access to MYQL Database on shared Hostgator.com server

Post by ViktorV » Thu 09 Jul 2020 17:53

MyDAC is intended for use with a MySQL server, which should be installed and properly configured.
Our products for MySQL allow connecting the client to a properly configured MySQL server, but they are not intended for configuring a MySQL server itself.
As we wrote earlier, your question is related to MySQL server configuration rather than our components. Please refer to the MySQL documentation, the technical support of your server, or ask your question on specialized forums to get the needed information. We support both the SSL protocol and SSL tunneling on a properly configured MySQL server.