Can we use ODBC with SDAC???

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding SDAC (SQL Server Data Access Components) for Delphi, C++Builder, Lazarus (and FPC)
Japhar

Post by Japhar » Wed 23 May 2007 06:24

Hi,

We have licensed version of SDAC.

As we know that SDAC uses OLEDB to connect SQL Server directly.

But i want to know is there any way where we can use ODBC with SDAC??? If yes, please let me know the details how we can connect or provide any link where i can get the details.

thanks
japhar

Jackson

Post by Jackson » Wed 23 May 2007 08:36

SDAC doesn't provide any possibility to work through ODBC instead of OLE DB.

Japhar

Post by Japhar » Mon 02 Jul 2007 07:56

Hi,

Need some help on OBDC with SDAC...

As we know SDAC supports only OLEDB. But we have a scenario where we need ODBC with SDAC.

Scenario: We have an Delphi application with SDAC components. We have to do Performance testing of our application. Now while doing performance testing load runner is not capturing/listening the events (like Select, Insert, Delete, Update) of OLEDB. So the performance testing is stopped due to this reason.

We are ready to change the code of SDAC with your help for ODBC (As we know it is not simple). So i request you to please provide me few details on this or can we have call on this? Please provide your contact number for discussion on this topic?

Please reply back to us....

Antaeus

Post by Antaeus » Mon 02 Jul 2007 13:32

You are right, this is not a simple task. I guess, it will take much more time than you estimate, because approaches of working with ODBC and OLE DB are very different.
Could you describe in more detail for what reasons do you need that?

Japhar

Post by Japhar » Mon 02 Jul 2007 13:54

Thanks for your reply....I agree what u are saying...

1) We are doing Performance Testing of our Deplhi Application using load runner.

2) While doing performance testing load runner is not capturing the events of OLEDB. This is because load runner will not support OLEDB.

3) Load Runner will support ODBC. So we have to use ODBC instead of OLEDB.

This is the reason where we are hanging....

Can you suggest any option/approach?

Antaeus

Post by Antaeus » Tue 03 Jul 2007 09:14

Thank you for your explanation.
As I said, this is a pretty difficult task, and we did not even analyze approaches for ODBC support. I do not think that only performance testing justifies adding support for ODBC to SDAC, because this should appreciably affect SDAC performance, and therefore performance of your application.
Probably there is a reason to search for another approach to measure performance of your database applications.