Master-Detail-SubDetail-SubSubDetail REALLY SLOW (16 seconds for a single scroll)

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding SDAC (SQL Server Data Access Components) for Delphi, C++Builder, Lazarus (and FPC)
Urgent

Master-Detail-SubDetail-SubSubDetail REALLY SLOW (16 seconds for a single scroll)

Post by Urgent » Tue 05 Apr 2005 09:09

i have 40 tables in a db (sql server 2000), all related. im using delphi 7 and sdac 3.00.0.2 . table sizes range from 50 to 150 fields, with table relations forming a tree, of up to six tables deep (ex. patient -> operation -> body part -> organ -> arthery -> arthery section). even in an empty db with only three records in the master table and all other table close to empty, i takes 16 seconds from the moment i click on a record to actualy scroll to it and update detail tables. can this be solved without breaking the master - detail chain, and no serious coding (i hope for a solution in a sdac component property)

Ikar

Post by Ikar » Wed 06 Apr 2005 12:47

At first, try to download SDAC 3.50.0.13. If it doesn't help, please prepare a small complete sample to demonstrate the problem and send it to SDAC support address - possible, we'll suggest ways to increase performance. Also include script to create and fill used tables.

PS: could it be that you use CursorType ctDefaultResultSet?

Urgent

Post by Urgent » Fri 08 Apr 2005 12:33

i do use defaultresultset. i don't know much about cursor types, is this the problem?

Ikar

Post by Ikar » Fri 08 Apr 2005 14:21

DefaultResultSet in your case is a right solution. If you send a small complete sample to mydac support address we could try to suggest something.