DB Monitor overhead

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding SDAC (SQL Server Data Access Components) for Delphi, C++Builder, Lazarus (and FPC)
baumsh

DB Monitor overhead

Post by baumsh » Tue 06 Feb 2007 23:13

Hi,

I would like to ask if there is any overhead associated if there is a TMSSQLMonitor and its set to Active = True and there is no DBMonitor open and that time?

In other words, does this component add any overhead if the DBMonitor exe is not running, and the Active property is enabled?

I want to add this component to a server that is a windows service, and I dont' have an easy way to flag when to activate this component, but I want that when the DBMonitor is running it should notifications, so I keep it always set to Active, but I'm scared about the overhead it adds when trying to find the DBMonitor and doesnt since its not started.

Regards,
Shloma Baum

Jackson

Post by Jackson » Wed 07 Feb 2007 15:15

Using of the TMSSQLMonitor component will reduce performance.
Use this component for debug purposes.

baumsh

Post by baumsh » Wed 07 Feb 2007 15:39

Thanks.

While I'm at it, is it legal if I buy the SDAC to distribute the DB Monitor? and if so is it possible just to drop the monitor.exe and dll into the app folder without having to run the setup? or are there any other settings to be set in order for it to run properly?

Regards
Shloma

Devart
Site Admin

Post by Devart » Thu 08 Feb 2007 13:31

baumsh wrote:While I'm at it, is it legal if I buy the SDAC to distribute the DB Monitor?
DBMonitor is freeware and you can distribute it with your programs created using SDAC.

Jackson

Post by Jackson » Thu 08 Feb 2007 14:17

To make DBMonitor work it is enough to copy DBMonitor.exe and DBMonitor.dll files in the application folder and just launch DBMonitor.exe.