Client installation

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding SDAC (SQL Server Data Access Components) for Delphi, C++Builder, Lazarus (and FPC)
smarreco

Client installation

Post by smarreco » Thu 22 Sep 2016 20:24

I'm using SQL Server Express Edition.
My application does not work at a client station, unless I install the SQL Server (at least the client tools).
Is that supposed to be so? or is there any dll that should be installed instead of SQL Server?

azyk
Devart Team

Re: Client installation

Post by azyk » Fri 23 Sep 2016 08:34

SDAC doesn't require SQL Server installation for connection to it. To connect to SQL Server, SDAC can use 3 modes:
- using standard OLEDB provider. This provider is distributed with Windows OS and doesn't require additional installation.
- using SQL Native Client provider. This provider must be installed on the client PC.
- Direct Mode. Supports connection to SQL Server via TCP/IP avoiding additional libraries.

Please clarify, do you get any errors when a client application attempts to connect to SQL Server?

smarreco

Post by smarreco » Mon 26 Sep 2016 15:37

No specific error message.
Some queries that runs OK at the server, return a FILE NOT FOUND message.
Some database fields return a ERROR CONVERTING FIELD TYPE message.

How do I set my application to one of this 3 modes you have mentioned?

smarreco

Post by smarreco » Mon 26 Sep 2016 15:44

If I install the SQL Server at the client (no instance, just the software), everything works OK.
If I uninstall the SQL Server software, problems return.

azyk
Devart Team

Post by azyk » Tue 27 Sep 2016 10:44

When you install SQL Server on a client machine, SQL Server Native Client provider is installed along with it, therefore the specified issues don't occur on application launch on the client.

To solve the described issue, set the TMSConnection.Options.Provider property to prNativeClient, and on the client PC it is enough to install SQL Server Native Client instead of SQL Server installation.

See more details about the Provider provider in our online documentation: https://www.devart.com/sdac/docs/?devar ... ovider.htm

See more details about SQL Server Native Client at MSDN: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/lib ... .120).aspx

smarreco

Post by smarreco » Tue 27 Sep 2016 15:28

Thanks Azyk.

Nice tip.
Everything is up and running.