Change Notifications without SQL Native Client

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding SDAC (SQL Server Data Access Components) for Delphi, C++Builder, Lazarus (and FPC)
OlliWW

Change Notifications without SQL Native Client

Post by OlliWW » Thu 25 Jul 2013 09:59

Hi there,

i'm trying to get the ms sql change notifications working on all my workstations.
Some workstations have not sql native client installed.

on my "normal" TMSConnection i set "Provider" to "prSQL", this works for all workstations.

on my "change notification" TMSConnection i've set "Provider" to "prNativeClient". With this setting i can't run my software on workstations that have not installed MS SQL Native Client.

So i tested to set it to: prSQL or prAuto, but these settings produce error messages, telling me that i can't open my database.

I have a TMSQuery, linked to my TMSConnection, when i execute:
query.Open;
I get these errors.

So:
Is there a setting / property to get changenotifications working without native client, or is there at least a way to check (by code) if the sql native client is installed, to disabled changenotfications when there is no native client installed.

AlexP
Devart Team

Re: Change Notifications without SQL Native Client

Post by AlexP » Thu 25 Jul 2013 11:38

Hello,

To work with ChangeNotification, SQL Native Client is required to be installed. You can check if SQL Native Client is installed by analyzing the registry branches:

Code: Select all

MS SQL 2005
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Native Client\CurrentVersion 
MS SQL 2008
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\SQLNCLI10\CurrentVersion