"Invalid input parameter values." Master/Child

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding SDAC (SQL Server Data Access Components) for Delphi, C++Builder, Lazarus (and FPC)
Bill Gage

Post by Bill Gage » Tue 17 Jan 2006 00:42

I am trying to edit the master dataset of a master/child relationship. Either by appending or inserting a new record. However whenever I try I get the error "Invalid input parameter values. Check the status values for details." How do I resolve this error? Or prevent it from occuring?

Bill

tinof

Post by tinof » Tue 17 Jan 2006 07:30

Hi,

look at details - query (table) properties. After setting up a master/detail relationsship you will see one ore more parameters (your linking fields). Set the datatype - properties for these automatically generated parameters.

Tino

Ikar

Post by Ikar » Tue 17 Jan 2006 09:33

Please see MasterDetail demo from Demos folder.

Bill Gage

Post by Bill Gage » Tue 17 Jan 2006 16:33

The Master/Detail parameters have been set up and it seems to be functioning fine when I am navigating the datasets. The only time I get the aforementioned error is when I try to append or insert a record into the master dataset. However, I will follow the advice of Ikar and tinof and check both of their suggestions and post my results here.

Bill Gage

"Invalid input parameter values." Master/Child - RESOLUTION

Post by Bill Gage » Tue 17 Jan 2006 17:14

Here is what resolved the above issue.

Apparantly whenever a new record was insterted into the Master dataset, whatever the initial value the Master Field was being set to would cause the error.

So using the fields editor on the Master Dataset I retrieved the fields and set the default value of the master field. This corrected the issue.

As an opinion I have not noticed other dataset components that connect to the BDE or Interbase to cause this same issue. So it would seem to me the methods that enable the master/detail functionality should be disabled when the Master dataset enters the edit mode, or at least the methods should make an exception to the master/detail param rules when the master dataset is being edited.

Bill