ReadOnly=true and UpdatingTable is not empty

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding SDAC (SQL Server Data Access Components) for Delphi, C++Builder, Lazarus (and FPC)
FILLrate

ReadOnly=true and UpdatingTable is not empty

Post by FILLrate » Thu 17 May 2012 14:25

Hi.
Delphi XE 15.0.3953.35171
sDAC 6.1.6

1. Set ReadOnly property of TMSQuery to true
2. Set UpdatingTable property of TMSQuery to valid table name (a do it from automatically generated list).
3. When query is opened the error is occured:

Code: Select all

Exception class EDatabaseError with message 'Wrong UpdatingTable value - table dbo.Tpermits is unknown'.
SQL script inside TMSQuery:

select 
     p.FGUID    
    ,p.PermitGroup
    ,p.FSN
    ,p.FStartDate
    ,p.FExpiryDate
    ,p.FGetDate    
    ,p.FMultiUse   
    ,p.Vehicle  
    ,p.FDiscardingDate
    ,p.FComments
    ,p.AlreadyUsed  
    ,p.PermitType
from
     VPermits p
VPermits is a View (simple selection from table TPermits with several joins).

AndreyZ

Re: ReadOnly=true and UpdatingTable is not empty

Post by AndreyZ » Thu 17 May 2012 15:25

Hello,

SQL Server does not return table names for fields in views, it returns view names. That's why you cannot use the correct table names in the UpdatingTable property. In case of using views, you can use only view names in UpdatingTable.

FILLrate

Post by FILLrate » Fri 18 May 2012 06:28

AndreyZ wrote:Hello,

SQL Server does not return table names for fields in views, it returns view names. That's why you cannot use the correct table names in the UpdatingTable property. In case of using views, you can use only view names in UpdatingTable.
But the error only occurs when Readonly=true. If readonly=false nothing happens.

As I understand using UpdatingTable doesn’t allow me to determine updating table/view manually. Am I correct? And in this way what is the reason of using UpdatingTable property?

Please, see similar problems:
http://forums.devart.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=24136
http://forums.devart.com/viewtopic.php? ... ble#p48246

AndreyZ

Post by AndreyZ » Fri 18 May 2012 09:33

FILLrate wrote:But the error only occurs when Readonly=true. If readonly=false nothing happens.
It is opposite. If TMSQuery.ReadOnly is True, it means that it will be impossible to update TMSQuery. In this case the TMSQuery.UpdatingTable has no meaning, and that's why SDAC doesn't check it. But if TMSQuery.ReadOnly is False, SDAC checks TMSQuery.UpdatingTable and it must be set to one of the table names returned by SQL Server. Because SQL Server returns view names instead of table names for such queries as you posted above, you can use only view names in the TMSQuery.UpdatingTable property.
FILLrate wrote:As I understand using UpdatingTable doesn’t allow me to determine updating table/view manually. Am I correct? And in this way what is the reason of using UpdatingTable property?
TMSQuery.UpdatingTable lets you choose a table to update if you have several tables in a query. Here is a code example:

MSQuery.SQL.Text := 'select t1.id, t1.fld1, t2.id, t2.fld2 from table1 t1, table2 t2 where t1.id=t2.id';
MSQuery.UpdatingTable := 'table2';
MSQuery.Open;

FILLrate

Post by FILLrate » Fri 18 May 2012 13:57

TMSQuery.UpdatingTable lets you choose a table to update if you have several tables in a query.
From help files:

If UpdatingTable is not set then the first table used in a query is assumed to be the target
So, instead of using this property you can simply put editing table in the first place (as a rule editing table goes first when joins are used).

Sorry, I thought this property would be more useful.
Thank you for reply.

AndreyZ

Post by AndreyZ » Mon 21 May 2012 10:27

FILLrate wrote:So, instead of using this property you can simply put editing table in the first place (as a rule editing table goes first when joins are used).
Yes, it is correct.

FILLrate

Post by FILLrate » Mon 21 May 2012 12:36

ok, thx.