Does SDAC work on Windows 7 64-Bit ?

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding SDAC (SQL Server Data Access Components) for Delphi, C++Builder, Lazarus (and FPC)
Post Reply
sLesage
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue 21 Dec 2010 14:31

Does SDAC work on Windows 7 64-Bit ?

Post by sLesage » Tue 10 May 2011 07:37

Hi,

I've recently had a user report that our application isn't working on his new machine. We had no direct idea what was causing the problem until he mentioned he was using a 64-Bit windows 7 machine.

Now, I was wondering if an application built with Delphi 2010 using SDAC is supposed to work on a 64-Bit windows 7 machine ? (over SNAC)

Maybe there are some settings I should enable to make it work for the 64-Bit Windows 7 installations ?

Thanks a lot in advance for your feedback.

Regards,


Stefaan

Dimon
Devart Team
Posts: 2885
Joined: Mon 05 Mar 2007 16:32

Post by Dimon » Tue 10 May 2011 08:32

On Windows x64 all Delphi applications work only in the 32-bit mode.
Please give a more detailed description of the problem that arises in your application.

sLesage
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue 21 Dec 2010 14:31

Post by sLesage » Tue 10 May 2011 09:45

Hi,

I couldn't really get a lot more details ... apparently the application tries to run and reports an error saying :

"Named Pipes Provider : Could not open a connection to SQL Server [2]"

I'm trying to obtain a test Windows 7 64-Bit machine ... but this might take me a while. Meanwhile I'll have a look around the internet ... maybe the problem is caused by something else.

Regards,


Stefaan

sLesage
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue 21 Dec 2010 14:31

Post by sLesage » Tue 10 May 2011 11:25

Hi,

After some further research ... we found the source of the problem. Our appilcation does seem to work nicely in 32 bit mode on a 64 bit Windows 7. The problem was actually with the configuration of the SQL Server Client Tools.

We had added some aliasses on the client machine using the SQL Server Configuration manager. These aliasses were available for the 64 bit apps, but apparently 32 bit apps didn't recognize those settings. What we had to do is redo the SQL Server Client settings using the 32 bit version of the SQL Server Configuration manager (found in C:\Windows\SysWOW64) in the same ways as we did for the default one (found in C\Windows\System32).

The 32 Bit version gets its configuration from another registry key than the 64 bit version of that tool and that is what was causing our issue. (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\MSSQLServer for 64 bit apps vs HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\MSSQLServer for 32 bit apps).

Since this info might be interesting for other devs, I thought it would be useful to post it in here.



Regards,


Stefaan

Dimon
Devart Team
Posts: 2885
Joined: Mon 05 Mar 2007 16:32

Post by Dimon » Tue 10 May 2011 13:31

It is good to see that the problem has been solved. If any other questions come up, please contact me.

Dirk.Bezuidenhout
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri 10 Oct 2008 11:38
Contact:

Post by Dirk.Bezuidenhout » Thu 01 Dec 2011 08:17

To Lesage

I have the exact problem.

Can you please tell me how exactly you guys fixed this. My client's SQL environment is SQL Server 2005 on a MS Server 2003 R2 machine.

They have a clean workstation with only Win 7 64 installed. I have installed SQL Native Client on this machine.

My question is thus: where do I go to fix the client config.

Thanks

Dirk

Post Reply