is it not possible at all to use an existing MSConnection in

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding SDAC (SQL Server Data Access Components) for Delphi, C++Builder, Lazarus (and FPC)
brace

is it not possible at all to use an existing MSConnection in

Post by brace » Wed 10 Nov 2010 08:52

I am succesfully implementing background threads that use a dedicated connection.

I have only one problem, since I am connecting to the DB inside the thread, I lose a lot of time in estabilishing the connection and a very little time to execute the thread:

Code: Select all

procedure TSDACBackgroundThread.Execute;
begin
// coinitialize part
  FData.MSConnection.Connect; // takes "2 seconds"
  FData.MSQuery.Execute; // takes "5 milliseconds"
  FData.MSConnection.Disconnect;
end;
Ok, it is a background thread, but I lose 2 extra seconds, since in some cases I need to run many background threads and wait for all of them to be completed bfore continuing anyway those "2 seconds" can make a difference in speed.

Is it a way I can pass an already existing connection or am I forced to call TMSConnection.Connect INSIDE the thread?

AndreyZ

Post by AndreyZ » Wed 10 Nov 2010 13:59

Hello,

You can use one connection for several threads only if you provide thread-safety by yourself. In this case you can call TMSConnection.Connect once in the main thread and then use this connection in other threads avoiding spending time on connection establishment.

brace

Post by brace » Wed 10 Nov 2010 16:18

But are there any problems if I simply call

Code: Select all

MSQuery1.Open;
in thread?

I mean which thread-safe realted problems may I face if I simply open queries in threads?

AndreyZ

Post by AndreyZ » Thu 11 Nov 2010 09:19

The best way to work in a multithreaded application is to you have a connection in each thread. In this case one connection executes one query at a time. One connection can't execute several queries simultaneously. Therefore, when you are trying to use one global connection to run several queries you have to provide their execution safety. Otherwise, when two threads are trying to access data through one connection an error will arise.

brace

Post by brace » Thu 11 Nov 2010 12:08

ok, clear, so an alternative approach is to create some connections and be sure to use only one per thread. So since they are already created I don't have to wait for connection.

This particular case is possible since I have 3 background tasks (so a fixed number of background tasks = 3 connections), of course for all other types of theading it makes no sense since i cannot predict how many connectinos I will need.

AndreyZ

Post by AndreyZ » Thu 11 Nov 2010 12:57

ok, clear, so an alternative approach is to create some connections and be sure to use only one per thread. So since they are already created I don't have to wait for connection.
Yes, you can use this solution.

brace

Post by brace » Thu 11 Nov 2010 13:28

Thanks a lot.