help on help

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding SDAC (SQL Server Data Access Components) for Delphi, C++Builder, Lazarus (and FPC)
radub

help on help

Post by radub » Tue 27 Jul 2010 14:10

I have D6 with SDAC Trial version and I suppose it doesn't come with the complete help, because some of properties aren't in it (GetFieldDesc for example) and more, the help it doesn't install in the master help of Delphi; the ODAC part that we have, it had its help complete and installed in the master help.
How can I obtain the full help?

Thank you

Radu B.

Dimon
Devart Team

Post by Dimon » Wed 28 Jul 2010 10:06

Now SDAC and other DAC products (like ODAC) support Ms-Help 2.0 in Delphi 2007 and higher and CHM help in other Delphi versions. This was done for many reasons and makes working with help easier.
You can open the SDAC help using the SDAC menu in Delphi.

radub

Post by radub » Wed 28 Jul 2010 10:20

I understand the format of the help, but the main issue remains: I can't find some of the topics covered by the help and I gave you an example which is uncovered and I don't know all the properties of that object (TMSTable.GetFieldDesc)

Where can I find more extensive help?

Dimon
Devart Team

Post by Dimon » Wed 28 Jul 2010 10:58

SDAC provides help for all properties and methods necessary for users. But some methods (like GetFieldDesc) are internal DAC methods and therefore we don't describe them.

radub

Post by radub » Wed 28 Jul 2010 11:11

Sorry for being so insistent, but that property I encountered in a topic in the forum, looking for how to identify the primary key fields from a TMSTable and was about TMSTable.GetFieldDesc.IsKey, which I have already used it.
It appears this is quite necessary in various situations.

Furthermore, I am interested if there is another property (possibly derived from TMSTable.GetFieldDesc) which could tell the foreign keys.
This is why I asked you about an extensive help..

Thank you,

Radu B.

Dimon
Devart Team

Post by Dimon » Wed 28 Jul 2010 15:45

SDAC doesn't have another way to get the foreign keys. The TMSTable.GetFieldDesc method returns the TFieldDesc object for appropriate field, that contains internal description of this field.