GetServerList: list is empty

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding SDAC (SQL Server Data Access Components) for Delphi, C++Builder, Lazarus (and FPC)
formi

GetServerList: list is empty

Post by formi » Mon 27 Jul 2009 13:56

I just installed SQL Server 2008 on a Vista business. I develop with Delphi 7, SDAC 4.70. If I open the drop-down-list of a TMsConnection-component it returns an empty list. Same if I call GetServerList-function. In MS SQL Server Management Studio I can see the installed server and can connect. Any idea wher the problem is? Thanks in advance, Peter

Dimon
Devart Team

Post by Dimon » Wed 29 Jul 2009 07:13

I can not reproduce the problem.
Please check if the following registry key exists and please send us its value:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\Instance Names\SQL

formi

Post by formi » Wed 29 Jul 2009 14:50

The key exists and it has only a value "Standard". But there are two sub-keys one named "RS", the other "SQL" and in both are 2 keys with my instances:
Image[/img]

formi

Post by formi » Wed 29 Jul 2009 15:06

I found the problem: the key "HEKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\Client\ConnectTo" exits in my registry and in procedure GetServerList you open first this key, then the key "...Microsoft SQL Server\Instance Names\SQL but you don't close the prior opened key. Please fix it. And I can delete my key "ConnectTo".

Question: are the keys "...\MSSQLServer" from an older installation (2005) and not cleaned properly by uninstalling that server? Can I delete the hole key when I work with MS SQL Server 2008?

Dimon
Devart Team

Post by Dimon » Thu 30 Jul 2009 07:52

formi wrote:I found the problem: the key "HEKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\Client\ConnectTo" exits in my registry and in procedure GetServerList you open first this key, then the key "...Microsoft SQL Server\Instance Names\SQL but you don't close the prior opened key. Please fix it. And I can delete my key "ConnectTo".
Thank you for information. We have reproduced this problem and fixed it. This fix will be included in the next SDAC build.
formi wrote:Question: are the keys "...\MSSQLServer" from an older installation (2005) and not cleaned properly by uninstalling that server? Can I delete the hole key when I work with MS SQL Server 2008?
If you mean the "HEKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\Client\ConnectTo" key then you can delete it.