Is it possible to Share a transaction between processes?

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding SDAC (SQL Server Data Access Components) for Delphi, C++Builder, Lazarus (and FPC)
ben604

Is it possible to Share a transaction between processes?

Post by ben604 » Mon 29 Jun 2009 08:27

Hi

What i would like to do is to have various distributed processes (could be on multiple physical or virtual machines) do processing on cached data. Once all the processing is complete i need to commit the processed data to the database using a single DB transaction. Is it possible to somehow tell SQL server to combine a set of connections from a transactional point of view?

After Execute (Either all processes should successfully save or all should roll back)

Process \
Process -- DB
Process /

Thanks
Ben

Dimon
Devart Team

Post by Dimon » Tue 30 Jun 2009 07:21

SDAC supports distributed transactions only in the same application. You can use the TMSTransaction component for managing transactions in an application. It is based on the Microsoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator functionality.

ben604

Post by ben604 » Tue 30 Jun 2009 12:10

Thanks for answering Dimon.

I had a quick look at the Microsoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator functionality and it seems to me that what i need it technically possible, but as you say not implemented currently in SDAC.

Does Devart have any current plans to implement said functionality?

Thanks

Dimon
Devart Team

Post by Dimon » Fri 03 Jul 2009 13:55

We will investigate the possibility of adding this functionality in the near future. As soon as we solve this question we will let you know.