creating sdf-files with delphi

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding SDAC (SQL Server Data Access Components) for Delphi, C++Builder, Lazarus (and FPC)
formi

creating sdf-files with delphi

Post by formi » Fri 23 May 2008 07:41

I just posted a topic yesterday but perhaps forgot to enter a subject - I can't find my topic.

Well, I programmed an application for mobile-devices using SQL mobile that creates sdf-databases. Know I want to create this databases with delphi and tried to to this with TMSCompactConnection (first installing SQL Compact Edition). When I will connect to the database I get an error "OLE DB error occured. Code 8007007Eh".

Questions: is it correct that I have to install the SQL compact edition to access the sdf-database even if I have SQL Express Edition installed? And 2nd what could this error mean? (after installation of compact edition I have only a file C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server Compact Edition\v3.5\Desktop\System.Data.SqlServerCe.dll. Is that all I need?). BTW: I use Vista Business as OS.

Thanks for your answer, Peter

Antaeus

Post by Antaeus » Fri 23 May 2008 09:44

Questions: is it correct that I have to install the SQL compact edition to access the sdf-database even if I have SQL Express Edition installed?
Yes, SDAC requires installation of SQL Server Compact Edition to access sdf files.
And 2nd what could this error mean? (after installation of compact edition I have only a file C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server Compact Edition\v3.5\Desktop\System.Data.SqlServerCe.dll. Is that all I need?). BTW: I use Vista Business as OS.
It looks like there is something wrong with the installation your SQL Server Compact Edition. This error code means that some module cannot be loaded. Probably reinstallation will solve this problem. It is likely that this problem is related with the security system of Vista.

formi

SQL Server Compact installation

Post by formi » Fri 23 May 2008 13:50

Thanks for your answer. Unfortunately I didn't get it work till now. I think I don't know enough about Compact Edition installation and I search for help all the day! To install Compact Edition have I more to do than to install "SSCERuntime-DEU.msi" on by desktop (I also tried SQLServerCE31-DE.msi, without success). I found things about IIS but I think this is not necessary if I only want to create tables on a sdf-database. Is there a way to check if Compact Edition is installed correct?

Thanks, Peter

Antaeus

Post by Antaeus » Mon 26 May 2008 08:55

It is likely that you installed localization only, but not the SQL Server Compact Edition itself. There is a note at the download page of Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition:
To install the localized version of SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition (SQLServerCE31-[LN].msi), you must install the English version (SQLServerCE31-EN.msi) first, and then install the localized version. Note that [LN] represents the localized language.
Try connect to your SQL Server Compact with another tool, like SQL Server Management Studio.

You can also try to search for the answer at forums dedicated to this server.

formi

It works!

Post by formi » Mon 26 May 2008 11:51

Great it works! Thanks for your fast help!

Peter