"Connection failure"

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding SDAC (SQL Server Data Access Components) for Delphi, C++Builder, Lazarus (and FPC)
TrevorB

"Connection failure"

Post by TrevorB » Mon 03 Nov 2008 09:00

Hi Devart Support,

I need to just check something with you if you don't mind.......

The software I have developed happily works for a week or so without problem. Then, suddenly, with no warning, each user starts to get "connection failure" messages. I have tried to find where the exact error occurs but it doesn't seem to be specific. And once it occurs, we continue to get the same problem until the SQL server is rebooted and then it goes away.

The fact that I cannot pinpoint any specific area in the code where this is occuring and it goes away after rebooting the server points to me that this is a server problem esp as our server seems to be very low on resources at the time the connection failure occurs.

I was just hoping for your thoughts on this. Is it something I could have done in code or in the general connection that would cause such a problem or would you agree that it is more likely to be something wrong with the server?

Thanks,

Trevor

Dimon
Devart Team

Post by Dimon » Tue 04 Nov 2008 13:36

Try to adjust SQL server properties as Remote server connection or usage memory.
If it doesn't solve the probelm, use connection pooling and disconnected mode on connection.
You can find more detailed information about it in the following topics of SDAC Help:
- Working in an unstable network, Working with Disconnected Mode, Using connection pooling.

TrevorB

Post by TrevorB » Wed 05 Nov 2008 08:57

Many thanks for you quick reply, I will investigate the points you have raised.

I know little about connections to SQL in all honesty. I just set up a connection originally in the easiest way, it worked, so I left it. So the thought of changing those connections settings for pooling and disconnected is a little daunting as they are concepts I do not really understand. But I will read up on them and try to understand.

Many thanks,

Trevor