question using the DB wizard from excel add in

Discussion of issues, suggestions and bugs of Devart Excel Add-ins, our product line for connecting Excel to external data from cloud applications and databases
ll2016

question using the DB wizard from excel add in

Post by ll2016 » Tue 31 May 2016 06:24

i have got a question iam trying to to run a sql query to return members for a particular store. and my problem is the "localstore" is stored in the listmergefields table and is not a column. its a "tag"?, how do i retrieve the data out from the table seeing that the list of local store is not a column by itself.

usually if local_store is a column and if i want to see member who is in a particular local store i could just put something like "where localstore='store A'" but since it is not a column so iam confuse how to do it.

anyone? I try to paste tha table structure but not sure how to paste an image here too. :( thank you

Pinturiccio
Devart Team

Re: question using the DB wizard from excel add in

Post by Pinturiccio » Wed 01 Jun 2016 13:07

Looks like you work with MailChimp and local store is a merge tag. In this case you need to set the "Merge Fields Detection Behavior" connection parameter to JoinAll on the very first step of the data import when you specify a connection to MailChimp.

This parameter can have the following values:
None - merge tags are not read from MailChimp.
JoinCommon (default value) - merge tags are read from MailChimp, but only the tags that are defined for all the Lists are joined to other ListMembers table columns. Other tags are ignored.
JoinAll - all the merge tags are joined to other ListMembers table columns. If a merge tag is not defined for the list, a list member belongs to, NULL value is returned for the corresponding column of this list member.

After this the localstore column in the Listmembers table will be available, and you can work with it in the same way as with another columns.

ll2016

Post by ll2016 » Wed 01 Jun 2016 22:55

You just solved my problem that I have been having for days! thank you so so much~~ :) Greatly appreciate it and also thank you very much for the explanation on the 3 different types of connection parameter.

ll2016

Post by ll2016 » Thu 09 Jun 2016 07:22

Hi

With the same question above, if i have exported all the tables to mysql, does anyone know if i would run a query directly from mysql and because I wont have the wizard to select the JOIN ALL option for the merge tags, how can i view the mergetags fields since they(example store) are not "actual" columns in the table listmergefields.

is there a way ? thank you

Pinturiccio
Devart Team

Post by Pinturiccio » Mon 13 Jun 2016 13:31

If we understood you correctly, you want to import data from MySQL with Devart Excel Add-ins, but cannot find the "Merge Fields Detection Behavior" in the MySQL connection editor. Only MailChimp connections have such parameters. Data are selected from MySQL in the same form as they are stored there. If you didn't transfer the merge tag information when migrating MailChimp data to MySQL, you won't be able to import it to Excel from MySQL via Excel Add-ins.

You can use Skyvia, our online solution for data integration, backup, and management ( https://skyvia.com/ ), to replicate data from MailChimp to MySQL. In the MailChimp connection editor select "Join All Merge Fields" in the "Merge Fields Behavior" list. Replication will create MySQL tables, corresponding to the replicated MailChimp objects. The created ListMembers table will have columns, corresponding to all Merge tags, and when you import its data from MySQL via Excel Add-ins, all the merge tags will be available. For more information about how to create Replicate package in Skyvia, please refer to
https://skyvia.com/resources/docs/index ... ackage.htm
https://skyvia.com/resources/docs/index ... n_task.htm

ll2016

Post by ll2016 » Tue 14 Jun 2016 01:45

Thank you Pinturiccio for pointing out this is only mailchimp feature. Initially, I was searching for a generic SQL statement to return the merge tags. I am following your idea and have been replicating using skyvia and its still running. Been 3 days but it is showing the number of records keep increasing. Probably due to the number of merge tags we have i guess.

But thank you for pointing to the direction.

Pinturiccio
Devart Team

Post by Pinturiccio » Wed 15 Jun 2016 14:50

ll2016 wrote:Been 3 days but it is showing the number of records keep increasing.
Your package processes a large number of rows, more than 17 millions of records are already processed. Processing such a number of rows can take several days.