ERROR [08001] [Devart][ODBC][Salesforce]"Devart.ODBC.SalesforceEngine.dll" can't be initialized

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding usage of ODBC Drivers
dmcneil923

ERROR [08001] [Devart][ODBC][Salesforce]"Devart.ODBC.SalesforceEngine.dll" can't be initialized

Post by dmcneil923 » Mon 23 Sep 2019 16:27

I am attempting to migrate reports that are running on an existing sql report server to a new sql report server using Sql Reporting Services 2016. The ODBC connection has been established using the ODBC Connector for Salesforce. And, the connection test is successful. However, when attempting to create a Data Source or to embed a new data source in a report, I am getting the following error: ERROR [08001] [Devart][ODBC][Salesforce]"Devart.ODBC.SalesforceEngine.dll" can't be initialized.

For the connection, I am selecting Type ODBC

For the connection string, I have attempted the short connection string like DSN=ODBC Name and the long connection string like DRIVER={Devart ODBC Driver for Salesforce};Data Source=login.salesforce.com;User ID=<your salesforce login>;Password=<your password>;Security Token=<your token>;Trusted_Connection=yes;
I am then using credentials to log in with the database user name and password.

We have a one server license and I'm wondering if this has something to do with the driver being installed on the two servers while we attempt to do this migration.

Stellar
Devart Team

Re: ERROR [08001] [Devart][ODBC][Salesforce]"Devart.ODBC.SalesforceEngine.dll" can't be initialized

Post by Stellar » Thu 26 Sep 2019 07:03

We encountered the "Devart.ODBC.SalesforceEngine.dll" issue in previous versions of SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS).
To resolve the issue, we followed the instuctions in SQL Server documentation (docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/reporting-services/extensions/secure-development/using-reporting-services-security-policy-files) and implemented a workaround as follows:

- stopped the SSRS service work
- copied the assembly Devart.ODBC.SalesforceEngine.dll from the folder with Devart ODBC Driver for Salesforce to the folder with the installed SSRS:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services\SSRS\ReportServer\bin\Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AppLocal.Tabular.dll
In our test environment, we used x64 driver and SSRS versions
- opened the configuration file C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services\SSRS\ReportServer\rssrvpolicy.config and added to it
the following lines:

<CodeGroup
class="UnionCodeGroup"
version="1"
PermissionSetName="FullTrust"
Name="Devart_ODBC_SalesforceEngine"
Description="Devart ODBC SalesforceEngine">
<IMembershipCondition class="UrlMembershipCondition"
version="1"
Url="F:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services\SSRS\ReportServer\bin\Devart.ODBC.SalesforceEngine.dll"
/>
</CodeGroup>

- saved the rssrvpolicy.config file and started the SSRS service

After these actions, we could connect to Salesforce using our driver and get the required reports.