Windows ODBC Drivers for Firebird & InterBase. Client Issues

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding usage of ODBC Drivers
SQLdba@ATI

Windows ODBC Drivers for Firebird & InterBase. Client Issues

Post by SQLdba@ATI » Thu 11 Oct 2018 18:27

We have a very aged InterBase database file on a remote PC, and I have no idea on age/version. Previous drivers (XTG Systems Interbase6 & Firebird ODBC Driver) still working on old SQL Server machine. I am trialing DEVART's Windows ODBC Drivers for Firebird & InterBase in attempt to build new ODBC DSN on a 64-bit server (and later do SQL Linked_Server). Post-Add. I have determined targeted database is InterBase v6.0 | ODS 10.0 | Database dialect 3.

I have installed both your Drivers for Firebird & InterBase, and configured in ODBC Admin (64). I have also installed Firebird ODBC 2.0.5.156 x64.

When I try your Firebird driver, I get error "connection rejected by remote interface". I have verified LOGIN/PASS are same used in original server (working there). Post-Add. I have obtained 1 or 2 connections with "firebird" driver. Also get additional error of "Unable to complete network request to host "<server_name>". Failed to establish a connection." The remote computer (with db) is a PC in the manufacturing process area, so I'll see if I can remote in / get info of port # 3050.

When I try your InterBase driver, I get error "client library not supported". I have tried pointing to FBCLIENT.DLL & GDS32.DLL, both in the [C:\Windows\System32] folder.

I have no experience in the Firebird & InterBase areas, just MS-SQL. I wish I had more details on the error "connection rejected by remote interface". How do I confirm I have the right FBCLIENT.DLL & GDS32.DLLs?

Thanks in advance.

ViktorV
Devart Team

Re: Windows ODBC Drivers for Firebird & InterBase. Client Issues

Post by ViktorV » Fri 12 Oct 2018 12:33

To connect to InterBase, you should use only ODBC Drivers for InterBase: https://devart.com/odbc/interbase/ Since with ODBC Driver for Firebird: https://devart.com/odbc/firebird/ you can only connect to Firebird.
If the client library is specified in the Client Library setting of the Devart InterBase ODBC Driver without the full path to it, the driver will search for it in the current folder, the folders specified in the PATH environmental variable, WINDOWS\system32.
To solve the problem, try to specify the full path to the correct library in the Client Library setting of the connection editor of Devart InterBase ODBC Driver.
As you write that you can connect to the database using another ODBC driver, you can use the following recommendations to solve your task:
- determine which client library another ODBC driver is using. To retrieve the name and the path to the library loaded automatically, you can use a third-party utility, e.g. Process Explorer.
- specify the full path to the correct library in the Client Library setting of the connection editor of Devart InterBase ODBC Driver.

johnsoac

Post by johnsoac » Mon 26 Nov 2018 18:02

Hi,
I just updated to: ODBC Driver for InterBase 2.2.4.
Failed to locate host machine, bug?

Worked perfectly before?
Where can I download earlier versions of the ODBC drivers?

ViktorV
Devart Team

Post by ViktorV » Tue 27 Nov 2018 10:05

Please, describe your question in more detail: specify the exact error message, exact steps to reproduce the issue, the exact version of InterBase.
The link to the previous versions is in the bottom of the current version page.