ODBC driver for ASE 1.3 for Windows Issue

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding usage of ODBC Drivers
felixnp

ODBC driver for ASE 1.3 for Windows Issue

Post by felixnp » Thu 10 May 2018 14:28

Hello!
I've downloaded the ODBC driver for ASE 1.3 for Windows from https://www.devart.com/odbc/ase/download.html for testing purposes. Installed it in my Windows 10 professional x64 workstation. Now I'm trying to setup a DSN using this driver to connecto to a Sybase server (Adaptive Server Enterprise/15.0.2/EBF 15654 ESD#4/P/Linux Intel/Linux 2.4.21-47.ELsmp i686/ase1502/2528/32-bit/FBO/Sat Apr 5 05:18:42 2008). When I try to test the DSN, I get this error:
"[Devart][ODBC][Adaptive Server Enterprise]Error on data reading from the connection:
A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.
Socket Error Code: 10060($274C)"

It's curious the fact that when I specify a nonexistent database and then test the connection, it detects and informs that this database does not exists. The same if I specify a bad user or pass: it raises an error "Login Failed" , so I guess it's making the connection and the error occurs while getting metadata or something else after the connection to the server is already stablished.
I've read the driver documentation and it claims that it supports Sybase Adaptive Server Enterprise 12.5.4 and higher, so I guess it shoud work.
Have anybody here faced this issue?
Thanks in advance
Felix

MaximG
Devart Team

Re: ODBC driver for ASE 1.3 for Windows Issue

Post by MaximG » Mon 14 May 2018 06:47

Our driver supports the ASE server since version 12.5.4. However, in our test environment, we do not have the ability to test full compatibility with each release ASE, which came out between the releases of ASE 12.5.4 and ASE 16.0. For example, we cannot test compatibility with ASE 15.0.2 due to lack of the required distribution. A possible error cause are specific metadata retrieved in this version of ASE. We will try to find a possibility to test our driver compatibility with ASE 15.0.2