Issues with the installation

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for DB2
induscreed

Issues with the installation

Post by induscreed » Thu 26 Sep 2019 19:15

Hi.

I am trying to install Dot Connect for DB2 trial version for a .Net Core 2.2 proof-of-concept web API application. Per the help online, I need to add the references to Devart.Data, Devart.Data.DB2 and Devart.Data.DB2.EFCore assemblies from my local Devart/dotConnect/DB2/Entity/EFCore2 folder. The folder has only one assembly: Devart.Data.DB2.Entity.EFCore.dll. The other two are missing.

Also, now everytime I start my VS 2019, I see a window with this message: "The Devart.Data.DB2.Vs.DB2DataProviderPackage package did not load correctly". It message also suggests that I look at the ActivityLog.xml file. Here are the content of the file:

CreateInstance failed for package [Devart.Data.DB2.Vs.DB2DataProviderPackage]Source: 'mscorlib' Description: Could not load file or assembly 'Devart.Data.DB2.Vs, Version=2.4.838.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=09af7300eec23701' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Devart.Data.DB2.Vs, Version=2.4.838.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=09af7300eec23701' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. File name: 'Devart.Data.DB2.Vs, Version=2.4.838.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=09af7300eec23701' at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly._nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks) at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks) at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.InternalLoadAssemblyName(AssemblyName assemblyRef, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly reqAssembly, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks) at System.Activator.CreateInstance(String assemblyString, String typeName, Boolean ignoreCase, BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes, Evidence securityInfo, StackCrawlMark& stackMark) at System.Activator.CreateInstance(String assemblyName, String typeName) at System.AppDomain.CreateInstance(String assemblyName, String typeName) WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF. To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1. Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging. To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

One last thing - I have run the dcdb2 setup program a few times already to fix the possible broken installation. Why does it say that another version of the library is already installed? I would expect the setup program to identify that the installed version and the current version are same and should give me an option to uninstall or repair the installation, like other well-behaved installation programs do.

My plan was to evaluate the library and possibly recommend it to the rest of the team after working with it. So far, I have not been able to get it to install properly. A bit disappointing!

Your help is appreciated.

Shalex
Site Admin

Re: Issues with the installation

Post by Shalex » Mon 30 Sep 2019 18:45

induscreed wrote: Thu 26 Sep 2019 19:15I am trying to install Dot Connect for DB2 trial version for a .Net Core 2.2 proof-of-concept web API application.
1. dotConnect for DB2 doesn't include .NET Standard (.NET Core) assemblies. You can work with EF Core only in .NET Framework projects using our provider.
induscreed wrote: Thu 26 Sep 2019 19:15Also, now everytime I start my VS 2019, I see a window with this message: "The Devart.Data.DB2.Vs.DB2DataProviderPackage package did not load correctly". It message also suggests that I look at the ActivityLog.xml file. Here are the content of the file:
[...]

One last thing - I have run the dcdb2 setup program a few times already to fix the possible broken installation. Why does it say that another version of the library is already installed?
2. Devart data providers use a common assembly (Devart.Data.dll), so it is necessary to install compatible providers versions. We release our ADO.NET data providers in a single pack, thus releases from the same date should be compatible.

dotConnect for DB2 is the only dotConnect provider on your workstation, isn't it? If so, reinstall dotConnect for DB2 with checking environment:
a) uninstall dotConnect for DB2
b) make sure (via some file manager like https://x-diesel.com/) that there are no Devart.* and policy.*.Devart.* files/folders in the following locations:
* GAC 2.0 (\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\)
* GAC 4.0 (\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_MSIL\)
c) clear the directories:
* \Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Enterprise\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Devart\
* \Program Files (x86)\Devart\
* \Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Devart\
* \Documents and Settings\All Users\Devart\EntityDeveloper\
* \Documents and Settings\All Users\Devart\dotConnect\
d) run installation of dotConnect for DB2 Professional Trial via its right click > Run as administrator menu