DB2 connection

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for DB2
giacomo.galletto

DB2 connection

Post by giacomo.galletto » Tue 29 Sep 2015 07:55

Hello,

I downloaded latest dotConnect for DB2 trial edition to test it with a DB2 instance running on an AS400 system in order to benefit of the EntityFramework capabilities.
Anyway, I am having trouble trying to connect to the DB2 database. The error I am receiving is:

"ERROR [42968] [IBM] SQL1598N Il tentativo di connessione al database non è riuscito a causa di un problema con la licenza. SQLSTATE=42968"

I was wondering if I need to purchase DB2 Connect license from IBM to be able to use dotConnect for DB2.

I am using VS2015 on a Windows 7 Pro machine and the DB2 for LUW version is 10.5

Regards
Giacomo

Pinturiccio
Devart Team

Re: DB2 connection

Post by Pinturiccio » Tue 29 Sep 2015 12:34

dotConnect for DB2 uses IBM DB2 .NET Data Provider. The described error is the error of IBM DB2 .NET Data Provider. We cannot change the behavior of IBM DB2 .NET Data Provider, and we recommend you to contact IBM support for solving the issue.

Probably the following post will be useful for you: https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/comm ... c4c362d08d

mmiers

Post by mmiers » Tue 29 Dec 2015 21:52

Hello, I am having the same issue. I simply want to use the Entity Framework for DB2. I installed the trial for dotConnect after fighting with IBM's .NET Data drivers, runtime clients, and VB extensions, only to discover that using these requires the $12,000 DB2 Connect software. The link you provided that you say may be useful clearly states the matter was resolved by installing DB2 Connect. This begs the question, are you saying dotConnect requires DB2 Connect?

You also say you cannot change the behavior of the IBM DB2 .NET Data Provider but this error is occurring during normal use of your software. The installation guide discusses command line parameters but I used the installer I downloaded. Is there additional steps required other than just install and go? If I am going to purchase this software I do not want to be fighting to get it to work and continually opening support tickets.

Forgive my frustration, but Devart and IBM both need to work on their documentation. I have been a software professional for years and have never had so much trouble getting a VS extension to work.

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Wed 30 Dec 2015 19:16

dotConnect for DB2 works via IBM.Data.DB2.dll, and doesn't support IBM.Data.DB2.iSeries.dll at the moment.

The compatibility with a particular DB2 server depends on IBM DB2 for LUW provider only: http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/idshe ... 010960.htm.

David.Woosley

Post by David.Woosley » Sat 09 Jan 2016 22:42

DotConnect for DB2 (or Universal) must work with IBM.Data.DB2.iSeries, or you should stop promoting it as an iSeries-compatible component. That's the reason I purchased your software, and now I know why it hasn't worked for the last year. Please integrate IBM.Data.DB2.iSeries.

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Mon 11 Jan 2016 09:33

David.Woosley wrote:you should stop promoting it as an iSeries-compatible component
The compatibility page of dotConnect for DB2: https://www.devart.com/dotconnect/db2/c ... ility.html. Please specify the link (at our site or any resource in the web) which states that our provider is iSeries-compatible.
David.Woosley wrote:Please integrate IBM.Data.DB2.iSeries.
We will investigate the possibility of implementing this feature. But there is no timeframe at the moment.