Trying to connect to DB2? New to this!

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for DB2
Radfox

Trying to connect to DB2? New to this!

Post by Radfox » Mon 06 Oct 2014 15:26

Hi,

I am new to connecting and using databases. I am trying to test the dotConnect add-in for VS2013. I have systems that run DB2 and I need to write VB code interfaces to connect and look at data. I can connect using IBM Data Studio and run SQL queries. I downloaded and installed dotConnect to my Visual Studio 2013. During the install the dotConnect recognized VS2013. When I open the VS and create a new Form I can go to "Server Explorer" and make a data connection to my tools. Several folders appear under the connection, Tables, Views, Procedures, Functions. These folders don't appear to do anything or have anything in them. Double clicking them does not drill down into them. I can however select "New Query" over my database and an SQL window pops up that will let me search my database. This search works so I know I can connect to my database.
However, when I try to write code in the .vb window to make the connection the very first statements from your connection webpage are imports from Devart.Data, these statements gets marked as containing errors as if the system does not know they exist or as if the paths to these files are unknown. I tried to include the path in the Imports statement to the files but I received other syntax errors related to path I entered.

My question is, does this sound like the dot.connect add-in properly installed?

Thanks,

Radfox

Radfox

Re: Trying to connect to DB2? New to this!

Post by Radfox » Mon 06 Oct 2014 17:35

Okay I can connect to DB through VB code now that I added the Imports as References in the Solution Explorer window. I noticed that there are several other .dlls in in the Devart folder is there documentation on what each of these are?

Shalex
Site Admin

Re: Trying to connect to DB2? New to this!

Post by Shalex » Tue 07 Oct 2014 17:04

Radfox wrote:When I open the VS and create a new Form I can go to "Server Explorer" and make a data connection to my tools. Several folders appear under the connection, Tables, Views, Procedures, Functions. These folders don't appear to do anything or have anything in them.
We cannot reproduce the problem in our environment. Please give us an additional information:
1. The exact version of your DB2 server.
2. The DDL script of any two tables which are not visible in Server Explorer via dotConnect for DB2.
3. Are database objects available in Database Explorer (in Entity Developer)?
Radfox wrote:I noticed that there are several other .dlls in in the Devart folder is there documentation on what each of these are?
> \Program Files (x86)\Devart\dotConnect\DB2\Devart.Data.DB2.Vs.dll
> \Program Files (x86)\Devart\dotConnect\DB2\Devart.Data.DB2.Design.dll
These assemblies are used by the provider for integration with Visual Studio. You should not add references to them in your projects, also do not deploy them with your applications.

> \Program Files (x86)\Devart\dotConnect\DB2\Devart.Data.dll
> \Program Files (x86)\Devart\dotConnect\DB2\Devart.Data.DB2.dll
These two assemblies include a base functionality and should be available in all applications written with dotConnect for DB2. The use of other Devart.* assemblies depends on the provider functionality used in your project. For more information, refer to http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/db2/docs/.