Error 'Could not determine storage version'

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for DB2
svetob@Delen

Error 'Could not determine storage version'

Post by svetob@Delen » Thu 10 Oct 2013 09:23

I recently installed dotConnect for DB2. Everything went fine until I tried to add an .edmx file. When I add the data connection and test it everything seems OK. But as soon as I click on Next> in the Entity Data Model Wizard this error appears:

My GAC has the Devart.Data and Devart.Data.DB2.Entity dlls and when I create an .edml file everything works but I can't use those for this project. Re-installing also didn't work.

I am currently using Entity Framework 5.

Shalex
Site Admin

Re: Error 'Could not determine storage version'

Post by Shalex » Thu 10 Oct 2013 13:00

Please specify the full name of your DB2 server and its exact version.

svetob@Delen

Post by svetob@Delen » Thu 10 Oct 2013 13:24

Its a DB2 LUW server version 9.5.10.

And the IBM.Data.DB2 assembly is version 9.0.0.2 if that's relevant.

uross

Post by uross » Fri 11 Oct 2013 07:00

I have similar problem when using Entity Framework DbContext. If I use DbDevartDB2Command query works. But when using DbContext I get an error:
System.Data.Entity.Core.ProviderIncompatibleException: An error occurred while getting provider information from the database. This can be caused by Entity Framework using an incorrect connection string. Check the inner exceptions for details and ensure that the connection string is correct. ---> System.Data.Entity.Core.ProviderIncompatibleException: The provider did not return a ProviderManifestToken string. ---> System.InvalidOperationException: Could not determine storage version; a valid storage connection is required.
I use EF6 RC1 and IBM.Data.DB2 assembly is version 9.7.5.4. DB server version is 9.7.0.7

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Fri 11 Oct 2013 12:43

There is a bug in a current public version of dotConnect for DB2 - it requires only the 9.7.4.4 version of IBM.Data.DB2.dll. We will fix the issue in the next public build of dotConnect for DB2 to allow it using any from 9.x and higher versions of IBM.Data.DB2.dll. Our internal build with the fix is available at http://www.devart.com/pub/dcdb2.exe.

svetob@Delen

Post by svetob@Delen » Fri 11 Oct 2013 13:26

I updated the dll to version 9.7.4.4 but it is still not working. :/

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Fri 11 Oct 2013 15:50

Please post here a detailed call stack of the exception. You can obtain it by connecting from another instance of Visual Studio (2nd) (Debug | Attach to Proccess) to the first VS (where you are adding an .edmx file). Before attaching don't forget to make these settings in your 2nd Visual Studio: a) in the (Debug | Exceptions) window select Common Language Runtime Exceptions; b) in the (Tools | Options) window, Debugging | General - clear Enable Just My Code (Managed Only).

svetob@Delen

Post by svetob@Delen » Mon 14 Oct 2013 08:15

Not sure if this is what you wanted:

Call stack
Full Image: http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/2874/pg13.png

Exception Detail
Full Image: http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/2428/iczy.png

Hope this helps!

uross

Post by uross » Mon 14 Oct 2013 08:17

I tried with your internal build (1.0.110) and now I am getting a different exception:
The 'Instance' member of the Entity Framework provider type 'Devart.Data.DB2.Entity.DB2EntityProviderServices, Devart.Data.DB2.Entity, Version=1.0.110.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=09af7300eec23701' did not return an object that inherits from 'System.Data.Entity.Core.Common.DbProviderServices'. Entity Framework providers must inherit from this class and the 'Instance' member must return the singleton instance of the provider. This may be because the provider does not support Entity Framework 6 or later; see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=260882 for more information.
I am using Devart.Data.DB2.Entity for EF6.

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Tue 15 Oct 2013 09:11

@svetob@Delen
1. Please install http://www.devart.com/pub/dcdb2.exe. Does it help?
2. The behaviour of the new public build of dotConnect for DB2 will be changed: EDM Wizard will show a more detailed error message in case of connecting to unsupported database or using incorrect provider manifest tokens. We are planning to release the build this week. We will notify you when it is available for download.

@uross
Here is an example of registering dotConnect for DB2 in App.config when working with EF6:

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<configuration>
  <configSections>
    <section name="entityFramework" type="System.Data.Entity.Internal.ConfigFile.EntityFrameworkSection, EntityFramework, Version=6.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" requirePermission="false" />
  </configSections>
  <connectionStrings>
    <add name="SAMPLEEntitiesConnectionString" connectionString="User ID=db2admin;Password=db2admin;Server=db2;Database=sample;Persist Security Info=True"
      providerName="Devart.Data.DB2" />
  </connectionStrings>
  <entityFramework>
    <providers>
      <provider invariantName="Devart.Data.DB2" type="Devart.Data.DB2.Entity.DB2EntityProviderServices, Devart.Data.DB2.Entity, Version=1.0.110.6, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=09af7300eec23701" />
    </providers>
  </entityFramework>
</configuration>

svetob@Delen

Post by svetob@Delen » Tue 15 Oct 2013 13:13

Nope, still doesn't work. Same Error :/

uross

Post by uross » Tue 15 Oct 2013 13:54

My bad. I forgot to register new version of provider. But now I am getting old exception back. I'll wait for the next release build and try with that.

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Fri 18 Oct 2013 11:00

Dear users, please try the new (1.5.118) build of dotConnect for DB2. If the problem persists, specify the exact text of the error with the call stack (it should include a more detailed information now).

uross

Post by uross » Tue 22 Oct 2013 07:07

I've tried the new build (1.5.118). I get a more detailed exception message now:

An error occurred while getting provider information from the database. This can be caused by Entity Framework using an incorrect connection string. Check the inner exceptions for details and ensure that the connection string is correct.
   at System.Data.Entity.Utilities.DbProviderServicesExtensions.GetProviderManifestTokenChecked(DbProviderServices providerServices, DbConnection connection)
   at System.Data.Entity.Infrastructure.DefaultManifestTokenResolver.<>c__DisplayClass1.<ResolveManifestToken>b__0(Tuple`3 k)
   at System.Collections.Concurrent.ConcurrentDictionary`2.GetOrAdd(TKey key, Func`2 valueFactory)
   at System.Data.Entity.Infrastructure.DefaultManifestTokenResolver.ResolveManifestToken(DbConnection connection)
   at System.Data.Entity.Utilities.DbConnectionExtensions.GetProviderInfo(DbConnection connection, DbProviderManifest& providerManifest)
   at System.Data.Entity.DbModelBuilder.Build(DbConnection providerConnection)
   at System.Data.Entity.Internal.LazyInternalContext.CreateModel(LazyInternalContext internalContext)
   at System.Data.Entity.Internal.RetryLazy`2.GetValue(TInput input)
   at System.Data.Entity.Internal.LazyInternalContext.InitializeContext()
   at System.Data.Entity.Internal.InternalContext.Initialize()
   at System.Data.Entity.Internal.InternalContext.GetEntitySetAndBaseTypeForType(Type entityType)
   at System.Data.Entity.Internal.Linq.InternalSet`1.Initialize()
   at System.Data.Entity.Internal.Linq.InternalSet`1.get_InternalContext()
   at System.Data.Entity.Infrastructure.DbQuery`1.System.Linq.IQueryable.get_Provider()
   at System.Linq.Queryable.Where[TSource](IQueryable`1 source, Expression`1 predicate)

-> INNER EXCEPTION:
    The provider did not return a ProviderManifestToken string.
       at System.Data.Entity.Core.Common.DbProviderServices.GetProviderManifestToken(DbConnection connection)
       at System.Data.Entity.Utilities.DbProviderServicesExtensions.GetProviderManifestTokenChecked(DbProviderServices providerServices, DbConnection connection)

-> INNER EXCEPTION (level 2):
       Unsupported server type 'DB2/LINUXX8664'.
          at Devart.Data.DB2.Entity.ak.a(DB2Connection A_0)
          at Devart.Data.DB2.Entity.DB2EntityProviderServices.GetDbProviderManifestToken(DbConnection connection)
          at System.Data.Entity.Core.Common.DbProviderServices.GetProviderManifestToken(DbConnection connection)
So I guess there is so problem with our server type name.

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Tue 22 Oct 2013 12:28

uross wrote:

-> INNER EXCEPTION (level 2):
       Unsupported server type 'DB2/LINUXX8664'.
This type of DB2 Server will be supported in the next public build of dotConnect for DB2. We will post here when it is available for download.