How to alter table columns?

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding database management and development tools for PostgreSQL
bobt2021

How to alter table columns?

Post by bobt2021 » Wed 08 Sep 2021 02:00

I am new to dbforge so perhaps this feature just does not exist. I have searched the menus and tried to change the properties of columns, but I am unable to even add a comment on a column, and no way to add a constraint or change the data type.

I am connected with a superuser priveleged role, so there are no limits on what I should be allowed to to from the server.
I can do all these things withe the free version of SQLManager, so I am surprised not to fing them in the paid verison of dbforge.

I have purchased dbforge studio 2020 for postgresql , standard edition, version 2.3.256

Should I be able to find this feature?

Thanks for any help!

alexa

Re: How to alter table columns?

Post by alexa » Wed 08 Sep 2021 05:59

There is no such a possibility. Though, we are planning to implement it in one of the next product versions.

Akusta

Re: How to alter table columns?

Post by Akusta » Sun 12 Sep 2021 15:46

Well, maybe others know better solutions, here's my shot.

NOTE: this works for me because I use pgAdmin.

For each object you can get CREATE scripts auto generated by pgAdmin.

So I open a new script window, and paste them in order. pgAdmin adds a commented-out DROP statement before CREATE, so I uncomment the DROPs, type the desired ALTER query between the DROP/CREATE statements and then leave or modify the dropped view/trigger as desired.

As I've said, maybe there are faster/safer/better ways to do this, but that's what I use.