Linq Profiler not showing any content

Discussion of issues, suggestions and bugs of LINQ Insight, Visual Studio add-in for design-time executing LINQ statements, that simplifies debugging LINQ
cdtkq

Linq Profiler not showing any content

Post by cdtkq » Tue 07 Jul 2015 06:54

Hi,

I'm trying to evaluate Linq Insight, esp. the ORM profiler. We're using EF with DevArt dotConnect for Oracle in a WPF client. (.Net 4.5, VS 2013)

As far as I understand, I simply start the profiler and then my project. But then nothing happens in the profiler window, no ORM queries are detected.

So far I could not find any configuration options nor documentation on how to proceed. What may I be missing?

My current guess is that the problem may be related to the fact that we build the connection string dynamically at runtime and it is not in the App.config. If that is the problem, how can I work around that? Saving the connection string in the app.config is not an option as those files are deployed to client machines. And even "for profiling" only we would have to change the code for all places where DBContexts are created.

Thanks,
Christoph

cdtkq

Re: Linq Profiler not showing any content

Post by cdtkq » Tue 07 Jul 2015 07:09

A quick update: Even when adding the connection string to the app.config and creating the ObjectContext from that string, still nothing shows in my profiler window.

Thanks,
Christoph

MariiaI
Devart Team

Post by MariiaI » Tue 07 Jul 2015 10:24

My current guess is that the problem may be related to the fact that we build the connection string dynamically at runtime and it is not in the App.config.
There should be no problems in such scenario.

The possible reasons for the issues with the LINQ Profiler are:
1) The issue related to Visual Studio 2013 peculiarity and its debugger; you can try clearing the following check boxes in your project properties, the Debug tab:
- Enable native code debugging
- Enable SQL Server debugging
2) The issue with Visual Studio 2013 with the enabled IntelliTrace; you can try disabling it (open Tools-> Options-> IntelliTrace and clear the "Enable IntelliTrace" check box).
3) ObjectContext is not supported (with EF6 only) in LINQ Profiler at the moment. We are working on this issue.

Please also try LINQ Profiler with another ORM, for example, LINQ to SQL, and tell us about the results, etc.

cdtkq

Post by cdtkq » Tue 07 Jul 2015 12:00

Hi, thanks for the quick reply,

1) the "native code debugging" and "SQL server debugging" options are not set (checked this for both the main app as well as the project containing the EF model).

2) I'm running VS Professional, so there is no IntelliTrace

3) We're using ObjectContext with EF 6.1.1. So from your comment I assume that this should work with Linq Profiler?!

Regards,
Christoph

MariiaI
Devart Team

Post by MariiaI » Tue 07 Jul 2015 12:25

cdtkq wrote:We're using ObjectContext with EF 6.1.1. So from your comment I assume that this should work with Linq Profiler?!
Sorry for the inaccuracy in the reply.
Unfortunately, LINQ Profiler doesn't support ObjectContext with EF6 at the moment.
We will post here when any results regarding this are available.