Can't find Mono.Cecil.Pdb

Discussion of issues, suggestions and bugs of LINQ Insight, Visual Studio add-in for design-time executing LINQ statements, that simplifies debugging LINQ
MartinHT

Can't find Mono.Cecil.Pdb

Post by MartinHT » Thu 28 Aug 2014 10:03

I am trying to run the Linq Insight 3.2.529.0 and I'm getting the following error.

My system is:
Windows 8.1 x64 (Spanish)
Visual Studio 2013 Premium + Update 3 (English)
16 GB. RAM

-------------------

Message: No se puede cargar el archivo o ensamblado 'Mono.Cecil.Pdb, Version=0.9.5.0, PublicKeyToken=0738eb9f132ed756' ni una de sus dependencias. El parámetro no es correcto. (Excepción de HRESULT: 0x80070057 (E_INVALIDARG))
Type: System.IO.FileLoadException
Source: mscorlib
Site: GetTypeByName
Stack Trace:
at System.RuntimeTypeHandle.GetTypeByName(String name, Boolean throwOnError, Boolean ignoreCase, Boolean reflectionOnly, StackCrawlMarkHandle stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean loadTypeFromPartialName, ObjectHandleOnStack type)
at System.RuntimeTypeHandle.GetTypeByName(String name, Boolean throwOnError, Boolean ignoreCase, Boolean reflectionOnly, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean loadTypeFromPartialName)
at System.RuntimeType.GetType(String typeName, Boolean throwOnError, Boolean ignoreCase, Boolean reflectionOnly, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
at System.Type.GetType(String typeName)
at Mono.Cecil.Cil.SymbolProvider.GetPlatformType(String fullname)
at Mono.Cecil.Cil.SymbolProvider.GetPlatformWriterProvider()
at Mono.Cecil.ModuleWriter.WriteModuleTo(ModuleDefinition module, Stream stream, WriterParameters parameters)
at Mono.Cecil.ModuleDefinition.Write(Stream stream, WriterParameters parameters)
at Mono.Cecil.ModuleDefinition.Write(String fileName, WriterParameters parameters)
at #=qktm1U2XzFHUs42k2cv33J0D4MJL96uNkm_CTM80ApR4HvthZrWou6VzW_e30aFAms$wj1XZJjw4euBl2YnwwAg==.#=qx0P5dBDxwZcgSLn5aRni_51rw9pFo2xzqW$9Q0Y3JYY=(HashSet`1 #=qw0n5jSwwGP2z0hpObGeVbdoPwf1MN$duE$062_uAW$c=, #=qGiYAUNqZH6gVfx3jyiehthWpVXnxEL95Q74Qcg2n0bJm15m$YLKfMm9oyk0ecmtPzROweF4$ADVdm$r1HfdDMw== #=qv_cmkeYtlyfq$nY5A8QpNQ==, String #=qP_wcgNpEdAvB$CmdLVXgpQ==)
at #=qktm1U2XzFHUs42k2cv33J0D4MJL96uNkm_CTM80ApR4HvthZrWou6VzW_e30aFAms$wj1XZJjw4euBl2YnwwAg==.#=qQ8bHIQFXLs_f7LrOW87fWw==(AssemblyDefinition #=qgy2eS6j9DXJ_c8YigSmdtw==, List`1 #=qBR6K2uX6Aa9NM1yHnwmmNA==, List`1 #=qxDWaAmlq5STJNDJ8IWpchg==, String #=qujrhdoAS0TloiPzBaZWqFg==)
at #=qQBBxsIHrLTYeN1EGU7Cb7tV4IY6EO9Mus1KdRL0V27AEBUYtp5NhIOtrvRNn9eQNzqrjKCNzTcfzcY0c8xrOPw==.#=qUvPUxQaavFdIp0EdUQtQVw==()
at #=qQBBxsIHrLTYeN1EGU7Cb7tV4IY6EO9Mus1KdRL0V27AEBUYtp5NhIOtrvRNn9eQNzqrjKCNzTcfzcY0c8xrOPw==.#=qNWEVa0G0GUaIRU$3mYxeRg==()
at #=qQBBxsIHrLTYeN1EGU7Cb7tV4IY6EO9Mus1KdRL0V27AEBUYtp5NhIOtrvRNn9eQNzqrjKCNzTcfzcY0c8xrOPw==.#=qXErf6TX_ROxsEAkk3iUKJx0HpaTb6$el6kJ1zmW4Uok=.#=qCmZldNMB1WwwYvvsFoD9QBxy5yJ5eEfBwrHVgwzjLb4=()
Inner Exception:
Message: El parámetro no es correcto. (Excepción de HRESULT: 0x80070057 (E_INVALIDARG))
Type: System.ArgumentException
Source: mscorlib
Site: nApplyPolicy
Stack Trace:
at System.AppDomain.nApplyPolicy(AssemblyName an)
at System.AppDomain.ApplyPolicy(String assemblyName)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.VsAppDomainManager.MatchAssemblyName(AssemblyName reference, AssemblyName definition)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.VsAppDomainManager.InnerResolveHandler(String name)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.VsAppDomainManager.ResolveHandler(Object sender, ResolveEventArgs args)
at System.AppDomain.OnAssemblyResolveEvent(RuntimeAssembly assembly, String assemblyFullName)

MariiaI
Devart Team

Re: Can't find Mono.Cecil.Pdb

Post by MariiaI » Thu 28 Aug 2014 12:24

Please check whether there are Mono.Cecil.dll and Mono.Cecil.Pdb.dll assemblies in the GAC. If yes, please temporarily remove them and try again your LINQ query.

If it doesn't help, please perform the following steps:
1. Start Visual Studio, load your project and open the file with the LINQ query.
2. Start another Visual Studio, select "Attach to Process" in the Tools menu and attach to the Visual Studio with your project.
3. Execute your query (select "Run LINQ Query").
4. When in the second Visual Studio instance an exception occurs, please open Debug -> Windows -> Modules. In the opened window you will see a list of the loaded assemblies.
5. Please check the path, from which the Mono.Cecil.dll and Mono.Cecil.Pdb.dll assemblies are loaded. If it is not the LINQ Insight (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Devart\LINQ Insight) directory, please also temporarily remove them and try again your LINQ query.

MartinHT

Post by MartinHT » Thu 28 Aug 2014 14:40

These are the steps I have taken:
1) I removed the Mono.Cecil and Mono.Cecil.Pdb assemblies from the GAC (deleted them)
2) Registered the 2 dll's that are in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Devart\LINQ Insight folder using gacutil /i [assembly name]
3) Hiw when I run Linq Insight fro inside the IDE all is working correctly.

Thanks for your help.
Martin.

MariiaI
Devart Team

Post by MariiaI » Fri 29 Aug 2014 05:07

Glad to see that the issue was resolved. If you have any further questions, feel free to contact us.