Single diff-tool window

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding code review tool for Visual Studio – Review Assistant
nhan4545

Single diff-tool window

Post by nhan4545 » Fri 03 Aug 2018 21:59

"Previously, when viewing changes to files, a separate document opened for each file. As a result, a reviewer had to close a lot of documents at the end of the review. Now a single diff-tool window opens, which alternately displays changes to different files."

Please consider making this a toggle option as some of us like to view multiple files as we're drilling down through the code and not lose our place. This single view scrolls you to the top on every file switch.

mstislavs
Devart Team

Re: Single diff-tool window

Post by mstislavs » Mon 06 Aug 2018 09:00

Hi,
nhan4545 wrote: Fri 03 Aug 2018 21:59 Please consider making this a toggle option as some of us like to view multiple files as we're drilling down through the code and not lose our place. This single view scrolls you to the top on every file switch.
Thank you for your suggestion. We will add this option in the next maintenance release of the version 4.0.

Best regards,
Mstislav Sakidon
Ongoing August Sale! Save more with Devart.
devart.com/happy-august.html

seanyberkshire

Post by seanyberkshire » Thu 25 Oct 2018 17:54

Is there any update on when this option will be added? This is definitely getting a bit frustrating when I am trying to review multiple files at once for a review.

mstislavs
Devart Team

Post by mstislavs » Fri 26 Oct 2018 12:23

seanyberkshire wrote: Thu 25 Oct 2018 17:54 Is there any update on when this option will be added? This is definitely getting a bit frustrating when I am trying to review multiple files at once for a review.
Hi,

We have added this issue to the next maintenance release. Now we are working on the new version of Code Compare and it is partial ready for release. So, we plan start development of the Review Assistant next month. I will definitely contact with you when I know the release date.

Best regards,
Mstislav Sakidon
Devart Team
www.devart.com

seanyberkshire

Post by seanyberkshire » Tue 26 Feb 2019 05:23

Has this still not been fixed? It's an extremely annoying "feature" to have to review files one at a time, and not be able to view multiple at once for comparison.

mstislavs
Devart Team

Post by mstislavs » Tue 26 Feb 2019 13:51

seanyberkshire wrote: Tue 26 Feb 2019 05:23 Has this still not been fixed? It's an extremely annoying "feature" to have to review files one at a time, and not be able to view multiple at once for comparison.
This option we be available in nearest release, a tentative date of release would be at the end of March - beginning of April.

Best regards,
Mstislav Sakidon
Devart Team
www.devart.com

jessejacob

Post by jessejacob » Wed 27 Mar 2019 17:50

Is this still on schedule? I'm demoing the product at a new company this week and although I really like what you did with 4.0, I think the single comparison window is not going to be liked by many of the devs. I'm using 3.6 for now, unfortunately, but I'd like to show off 4.0 once it has the single window feature as an option.

Thanks,

Jesse

mstislavs
Devart Team

Post by mstislavs » Thu 28 Mar 2019 05:47

jessejacob wrote: Wed 27 Mar 2019 17:50 Is this still on schedule? I'm demoing the product at a new company this week and although I really like what you did with 4.0, I think the single comparison window is not going to be liked by many of the devs. I'm using 3.6 for now, unfortunately, but I'd like to show off 4.0 once it has the single window feature as an option.
We plan to publish the new release on Friday. But you can download the Release Candidate version from our pub:
www.devart.com/pub/reviewassistant-R123504.exe
The main features: iterative review for shelvesets in TFS, tracking renamed files, opening Work Item (TFS) in two mode: VS and default browser, option "Use single diff-tool window" in the tab "Options"

Best regards,
Mstislav Sakidon
Devart Team
www.devart.com

mstislavs
Devart Team

Post by mstislavs » Thu 28 Mar 2019 06:02

Also I would like to remind you, Review Assistant does not close previous comparison tab before opening a new if user modified some of the documents in this tab. This behavior exists in the version 4.0, and has been saved in the new version and works even if new option is enabled. It will be helpful when user compares last/base with working copy before commit. If option "Use single..." is disabled Review Assistant never closes the previous documents.

Best regards,
Mstislav Sakidon
Devart Team
www.devart.com

jessejacob

Post by jessejacob » Thu 28 Mar 2019 19:03

Thanks a lot! I'll keep an eye out for the new version. I already have 3.6 setup with a trial license--do you anticipate me having any trouble upgrading to 4? The devs are already reviewing with it and there are ~30+ days left in our trial period.

Thanks,

Jesse

mstislavs
Devart Team

Post by mstislavs » Mon 01 Apr 2019 05:58

jessejacob wrote: Thu 28 Mar 2019 19:03 do you anticipate me having any trouble upgrading to 4?
Review Assistant 4.1 contains changes in the data model. We recommend you to create the backup of your RA database before installing a new version.

Best regards,
Mstislav Sakidon
Devart Team
www.devart.com