Client installation after Server installation

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding code review tool for Visual Studio – Review Assistant
pmilin

Client installation after Server installation

Post by pmilin » Wed 20 Jan 2016 17:45

Hello,

Earlier this year, I had to install Review Assistant Server 2.5.279 on a Workstation because I needed the command line client and it was only available in the Server installation (at least, that's what I remember).

Now that the command line client is available in both installations and while migrating to 2.8.512 version, I wanted to use the Client installation, in order not to have a review server installed for nothing, but the installation only proposes to me the "Server installation" and not the "Client installation", even after uninstalling the older version and cleaning the existing directories before launching the new one.

Isn't there a way to install a Client version on a server that once had a Server version ?

Regards,
Patrick

Artem
Devart Team

Re: Client installation after Server installation

Post by Artem » Fri 05 Feb 2016 14:09

You can choose "Custom installation" and check the "Command line client" option.

pmilin

Post by pmilin » Mon 08 Feb 2016 10:26

That's what I did eventually, but even from there I cannot uncheck "Server installation" : it tells me I have to choose at least Client or Server installation despite not having the "Client installation" choice.

As a consequence, I am forced to have and deactivate a review server that I don't need on my Workstation, and I think I should not be forced to.

Artem
Devart Team

Post by Artem » Mon 08 Feb 2016 12:29

In the next build, the separate installation of the command-line client will be allowed. The build is planned for this week.

pmilin

Post by pmilin » Mon 08 Feb 2016 13:11

So it is by desgin that, after having done a server installation, there is no way to just do a client installation even after complete uninstall of the server ? That must mean that everything is not cleaned by the uninstall process...

Artem
Devart Team

Post by Artem » Mon 08 Feb 2016 13:25

The "Client installation" means Visual Studio integration. In the next build, you will be able to uncheck the "Server" component. In that case, installer cleans server components.