Cannot view working copy

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding code review tool for Visual Studio – Review Assistant
malcolm_wipro

Cannot view working copy

Post by malcolm_wipro » Wed 28 Jan 2015 01:14

Up until recently we have been able to select the 'view working copy' of a file in a code review but this action now reports the following error:

"You trying to open a file that is not checked out to the working copy"

side note: Shouldn't that be "You are trying...."

Apart from applying a recent update to review assistant I cannot think of any reason why this error would occur.

I currently need to switch to the solution in Visual Studio to view the required file(s).

I have checked my project settings and everything is defined as I would expect.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

AlexeyN
Devart Team

Re: Cannot view working copy

Post by AlexeyN » Wed 28 Jan 2015 13:10

The typo has been fixed already. Thank you.

First of all, please check your Review Assistant project settings. Review Assistant stores relative paths to files. When you click 'View working command' or similar, Review Assistant takes path to working copy from the project settings, appends to it relative path to the file and tries to open it. Review Assistant throws that error when it is unable to open the file. Usual reason of the problem is that comment has been written to a file that is not at your repository yet. The simplest way to see to what file this comment is mapped to is to hover your cursor under a filename in a comment, and see full path at a tooltip.

If your settings are correct, send provide us with the versions of Visual Studio and Review Assistant you are using and screen shots showing:
- Review Assistant project settings,
- review with a comment where you see the error (and path to a file in a tooltip).

malcolm_wipro

Post by malcolm_wipro » Wed 28 Jan 2015 21:30

Thanks for your reply. I must have looked at our project settings several times and never noticed the working directory had been changed. I have checked with several team members and it seems everyone's settings are the same (and incorrect). Very bizarre considering it is a per-machine setting.

Anyway, we're all good again. Thanks.

lordneeko

Post by lordneeko » Wed 04 Mar 2015 11:39

If someone who is an "Owner" of the project clicks the "Save Working Directories as default" check-box, I believe it'll propagate out to other users. I'm not going to try it though, I don't want to go to 25 users and fix their settings.

On a side note, this leads me to a feature request (which I will post in the correct place)