Review assistant query

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding code review tool for Visual Studio – Review Assistant
yuenyip

Review assistant query

Post by yuenyip » Mon 22 Sep 2014 03:34

Hi all,

currently i am evaluating the review assistant for our company, when we apply the check in policy, it will automatically create the shelveset, after the review process and check in the code to TFS, we found that there are numbers of shelvesets, i would like to ask are there anyway review assistant will clear the shelveset after check in successfully?

i also find one problem when i check in the code and then create the review under the check in policy, after the review is created, the change owner close and delete the review without the reviewer accept the review, the code can be checked in, what cause this problem and how we can prevent it?

in the help menu, i can see Moderator, Author and Reviewer but when i try to assign the new member to the project, i can only assign owner, member and viewer, what are their difference and how should we assign the roles?

Regards,

Jason

AlexeyN
Devart Team

Re: Review assistant query

Post by AlexeyN » Mon 22 Sep 2014 09:39

Hello,

1. There is no mechanism that cleans shelvesets after completing a review. We will consider the possibility of adding such mechanism.

2. Review Assistant is designed to be not so constrained to the administrative restrictions. In your case, the key moment is that the author can close a review, so Review Assistant assumes, that review was finished and TFS policy succeeds. Only the review moderator can perform such transition, and, if you use 'Simple Review Workflow', the author is also conventionally considered as a moderator. So, you can use the formal review process instead: http://www.devart.com/review-assistant/ ... kflow.html

3. There are different roles at the project level and at the review level. Briefly, Owner, Member and Viewer are project level roles. Owner can change review project settings, Member can perform review only and Viewer interacts with the project in the read-only mode: http://www.devart.com/review-assistant/ ... roles.html
Author, Reviewer and Moderator are review-level roles. Author is responsible for the code in the review, Reviewer review Author's code and Moderator acts like double check for the code quality: http://www.devart.com/review-assistant/ ... ocess.html

yuenyip

Post by yuenyip » Mon 22 Sep 2014 10:25

Hi Alexey,

for the 2nd point, if we want to use the simple review workflow, is it better to set the reviewer and moderator to be the same person so that the author cannot close the review directly and check in the source?

in another thread, i have read there are some bugs on the simple review workflow, may i know when that bug will be fixed and is it the same problem that i have currently?

AlexeyN
Devart Team

Post by AlexeyN » Tue 23 Sep 2014 10:09

for the 2nd point, if we want to use the simple review workflow, is it better to set the reviewer and moderator to be the same person so that the author cannot close the review directly and check in the source?
Yes, you are right. In that case, author will not be able to close review, and moderator will be responsible for closing a review.
in another thread, i have read there are some bugs on the simple review workflow, may i know when that bug will be fixed and is it the same problem that i have currently?
There are no known bugs, related to the simple review workflow. The case when author can close review is as designed. The simple review workflow is designed for more informal review process. In your case, you should to use the formal review process.