Pending Changes in TFS won't detect Closed review if using Simple Workflow

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding code review tool for Visual Studio – Review Assistant
alixarx

Pending Changes in TFS won't detect Closed review if using Simple Workflow

Post by alixarx » Thu 11 Sep 2014 21:13

I'm testing out Review Assistant with TFS 2012 and Visual Studio 2013. I have enabled the Pre-Commit policy in Source Control. When I pull up Pending Changes in Visual Studio, it shows that I have to get a code review. I create the code review, and assign it to a reviewer. The reviewer goes in and Accepts the review, which automatically closes it because we Simple Workflow set. Back in Pending Changes, after refreshing, it still shows there is a review in progress and pending.

If I turn off Simple Workflow, the person making the code change, the Moderator, and the Author are the same person. The Reviewer can Accept the review without Closing it. Then the Moderator can close the review, and then the policy in Pending Changes is satisfied, and they can check in.

Why won't simple workflow work with Pre-Commit policy?

AlexeyN
Devart Team

Re: Pending Changes in TFS won't detect Closed review if using Simple Workflow

Post by AlexeyN » Mon 15 Sep 2014 11:11

We confirm problem existence. We will fix it in the next release.

alixarx

Post by alixarx » Mon 15 Sep 2014 22:07

Thanks for the response. In my review of Review Assistant, this was the only item that was keeping us from moving forward with using it in our environment. After looking at the revision history for the product, it looks like you are doing a release every 1 to 3 months. Do you know when the next release is planned, which might contain this bug fix?

AlexeyN
Devart Team

Post by AlexeyN » Tue 16 Sep 2014 08:32

We plan to release a new Review Assistant version in a month.

alixarx

Post by alixarx » Thu 12 Feb 2015 16:14

Hi,
Was this fixed in the last release?

AlexeyN
Devart Team

Post by AlexeyN » Fri 13 Feb 2015 11:47

Yes, it was fixed at the latest release.

lordneeko

Post by lordneeko » Tue 03 Mar 2015 16:21

I've seen in at least one case where a review was performed (and completed) on a shelveset and then when the developer went back to attempt a check-in, the override was still there saying that the check-in required a review.

I think these are the steps to reproduce.
Developer attempts Gated-Checkin.
Creates Review.
While other people are reviewing his work he "Undo" pending changes" and works on another task.
After the review is completed, he performed "unshelve" and got the same shelveset which was used on the review (named: reviewassitant-<date>) <---Yes, the spelling error is a bug as well
When he attempted to check-in, it said he needed to perform a review.

Our assumption was that the gate would see that the files in the pending changes were exactly the same as the files in a review and then allow it to pass, but for some reason they were no longer linked.

I'm not sure the solution here. It is very common to initiate a review and then go work on something else. Perhaps there should be an option that the developer that runs into this problem can, instead of creating a new review, the Review Assistant would create a popup that says "create new review or link to a completed review" and then the developer could relink with the completed review.
Also, the Review assistant would compare the pending changes to the selected "completed review" and verify that the files match, and provide a helpful indication to the user when they do not.