ActiveDirectory Invalid credentials

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding code review tool for Visual Studio – Review Assistant
JimW

ActiveDirectory Invalid credentials

Post by JimW » Mon 04 Feb 2013 21:02

I am using a trial version, and tried to use AD. It came up nicely and I added users from the domain I'm logged in with. When I tried to log in with AD, Review Assistant says:

Connection error:
Invalid credentials.

I made sure the users I added are from the correct domain. Any ideas?

Jim W.

AlexeyN
Devart Team

Re: ActiveDirectory Invalid credentials

Post by AlexeyN » Tue 05 Feb 2013 10:54

After you successfully add users from Active Directory, users can login to Review Assistant at their computers using "Windows Authentication" in Connection options (http://www.devart.com/review-assistant/ ... erver.html), in this case, Review Assistant uses currently logged in Windows user to log in to the Review Assistant server.
Could you elaborate, what exactly you did before getting the connection error message?

JimW

Post by JimW » Tue 05 Feb 2013 12:39

Thanks for the prompt reply! Here's what I just tried again.

1. I'm logged in the box with my domain account.
2. I start VS 2012 as admin.
3. I go into RA options logged in as admin
4. Go to Users, Click Active Directory
5. Find myself and click OK, I now appear in the list
6. Click Connection->Disconnect
7. Change to Windows Authentication, click Connect
8. Instantly get a popup Connection error: Invalid credentials.

AlexeyN
Devart Team

Post by AlexeyN » Tue 05 Feb 2013 16:04

That looks unusual. What version of Window Server do you use for Active Directory controller? Is the Review Assistant server installed on machine that's already in your Domain?

Also, after you add yourself to Review Assistant users from Active Directory, try the following steps:

1. Click 'Connection -> Disconnect'
2. Choose authentication: 'Review Assistant authentication'
3. Try to login using your Domain name and password
4. If the above steps fail, type name as: yourDomainName@fullDomanName (e.g. [email protected])

JimW

Post by JimW » Tue 05 Feb 2013 16:18

Aha! After being acquired a year ago, our machines are in one domain, but we log into another one. I changed the RA service credentials to a domain account and it worked. Thanks again for the prompt response. (Other vendors we are evaluating are not so responsive.)

RobertM_SBC

Post by RobertM_SBC » Fri 22 Feb 2013 14:29

AlexeyN,
I'm the Systems Administrator working with Jim -- let me give you a bit more detail.

We have two domains (a & b), where the first domain (a) holds all user accounts. The second domain (b) holds all resources (servers, applications, service accounts, etc). There exists a two-way trust between domain A and domain B. We have a variety of other software that runs on 1) servers in domain B, 2) runs under domain B credentials, 3) authenticates users in domain A without issue.

Currently, in order to leverage AD authentication for Review Assistant, we are having to run the service under credentials created in domain A in order to authenticate users in domain A. This is a temporary stop gap and we would prefer to be able to run under domain B credentials. What things can we look for to troubleshoot the issue?

AlexeyN
Devart Team

Post by AlexeyN » Fri 22 Feb 2013 14:56

We will investigate the issue next week and let you know.

AlexeyN
Devart Team

Post by AlexeyN » Fri 01 Mar 2013 16:06

We have just fixed the issue. You need only to install the Review Assistant server, this fix does not affect to the client side. Follow the link to download the installer: http://sdrv.ms/Wsignb

Please confirm that problem was solved, all works fine in our testbed, but we are not sure how it will interact with your Active Directory configuration.

JimW

Post by JimW » Fri 01 Mar 2013 16:13

Thanks. I installed it and it set the service to Local System, and I can get in via Windows Auth.

NZavaloff

Post by NZavaloff » Wed 06 Mar 2013 12:50

Is the Review Assistant server installed on machine that's already in your Domain?

vkocjancic

Post by vkocjancic » Tue 03 Sep 2013 06:51

Hi,

I am having exactly same issues with latest version. I did import AD users as Review Assistant admin, but I cannot log in as one.
Steps taken:
1. Disconnect from server
2. Select Windows authentication
3. Click connect.
4. Invalid credentials message.

If I try your suggested answer to log in with full domain name as Review Assistant user, I also get Invalid credentials message.

AlexeyN
Devart Team

Post by AlexeyN » Thu 19 Sep 2013 09:58

Please make sure the "Devart Review Assistant" service is running under that domain or under a domain with trusted relationships.

darko.pilav

Post by darko.pilav » Thu 28 Nov 2013 14:30

Hi there,

We are also having the same issue with the latest version like vkocjancic does.

The Devart Review Assistant is running under the same domain (the service runs under a user from the AD).

We still can not log in using neither the Windows authentication nor Review Assistant Authentication using the username with full domain name.

Do you have any suggestions?

Cheers,
Darko

Artem
Devart Team

Post by Artem » Fri 29 Nov 2013 13:09

In Devart Review Assistant service, try to specify the user that is included into the domain (see the "Configuring services" section at http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... inside-out).

Also provide us with:
1. The Review Assistant version that you use.
2. The exact message that you receive when attempting to connect.

darko.pilav

Post by darko.pilav » Mon 02 Dec 2013 09:02

Hello Artem,
Artem wrote:In Devart Review Assistant service, try to specify the user that is included into the domain
We already set it up so that the service runs under a user from the domain. I guess otherwise we wouldn't be able to add the AD users in the Review Assistant Options->Users.
Artem wrote:1. The Review Assistant version that you use.
It is the current version form your website (trial): 2.0.137
Artem wrote:2. The exact message that you receive when attempting to connect.
If I try to connect with Windows Authentication I get the error message:
"Connection error: Invalid credentials."
The same error message appears if I use the Review Assistant Authentication and provide my domain username (i.e. username@fulldomain)

My AD user has been added in the User settings using the Admin account of course.

Thanks for your help.