ActiveDirectory Invalid credentials

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding code review tool for Visual Studio – Review Assistant
AlexeyN
Devart Team

Re: ActiveDirectory Invalid credentials

Post by AlexeyN » Mon 02 Dec 2013 12:59

Maybe, some restrictions are applied to that server user account for getting user list from Active Directory.
We wrote a small test application. Please run it on the server side under the same user, as the Review Assistant service runs. Hit "Get all users" button and then, in that list, try to find the user, under which you try to perform login on the Review Assistant client side.

http://sdrv.ms/1bDqxek

darko.pilav

Post by darko.pilav » Thu 05 Dec 2013 10:20

Hello Alexey,

Thank you a lot for your help. You were right, the user was not able to enumerate the userlist from the AD because a DNS entry was missing. (Win8 computers are apparently trying to list the users differently than Win7 computers)

The issue is resolved now.

Thanks again!

Cheers,
Darko

Bafalov

Post by Bafalov » Mon 03 Mar 2014 14:24

I did import AD users as Review Assistant admin, but I cannot log in as one.

AlexeyN
Devart Team

Post by AlexeyN » Tue 04 Mar 2014 11:24

Please make sure the "Devart Review Assistant" service is running under that domain or under a domain with trusted relationships. What error does Review Assistant show?

qboo

Post by qboo » Fri 14 Mar 2014 08:42

Hello,
Iam havinig the same problem as the author and some other users described. I have Windows 2012 r2 as a server where I installed latest version of Review Assistant. I tried to setup domain user for Review Assistant server service, but it didnt work. I used program posted by AlexeyN to list all users in Active Directory. I found myself in that list, but still something is wrong. Weird fact is that on Win2012 I do everything logged as my domain user, when I type: ra.exe users (Iam typing it on Win2012 as server, not from client) I get also invalid credentials. Any solution?

AlexeyN
Devart Team

Post by AlexeyN » Fri 14 Mar 2014 10:50

Hello,

Please make sure the "Devart Review Assistant" service is logged on under a Active Directory user that has permission to read Active Directory users. If my test application runs successfully, you can specify there the credentials of the current logged windows user.

Then on the client side try to add active directory users to Review Assistant and tell us your results.

qboo

Post by qboo » Fri 14 Mar 2014 13:17

I setup "Devart Review Assistant" service to be logged under Active Directory user -> me ( Jakub.Ozga). I have permission to read Active Directory users as I listed all directory users on server using your program. I setup credentials for myself (Jakub.Ozga) as Administrator, but still I got the same error: invalid credentials despite of trying to log from clinet or server.

AlexeyN
Devart Team

Post by AlexeyN » Fri 14 Mar 2014 13:35

So, you can add users from Active Directory to Review Assistant. Try to connect to Review Assistant explicitly using your Active Directory credentials:

1. Select authentication: 'Review Assistant authentication'
2. Try to login using your Domain name and password
3. If the above steps fail, type the name as: yourDomainName@fullDomanName (e.g. [email protected])

qboo

Post by qboo » Fri 14 Mar 2014 14:29

Tried this solution, but it didnt help.

AlexeyN
Devart Team

Post by AlexeyN » Fri 14 Mar 2014 15:15

Let me clarify your case. Four applications below run under the same Active Directory user (not local windows user):

1. Devart Review Assistant service
2. Visual Studio with Review Assistant client
3. Command line where you execute the 'ra.exe users' command
4. The Active Directory test application, that iterates through all available Active Directory users.

And you can add an Active Directory user to Review Assistant, but can not perform login with it. Is this correct?

Also, tell us your Review Assistant version.

qboo

Post by qboo » Sat 15 Mar 2014 09:15

Its realy weird that it dosent work, because it should ...
Same Active Directory user is set:
1. Yes on server
2. Yes on client only
3. Yes on server
4. Yes on server

And I cannot add Active Directory user to Review Assistant as whatever I type ra.exe with arguments I get invalid credentials.

Version: 2.1.229

AlexeyN
Devart Team

Post by AlexeyN » Wed 19 Mar 2014 14:29

Maybe, you don't add Active Directory users to Review Assistant?

http://www.devart.com/review-assistant/ ... users.html

qboo

Post by qboo » Wed 19 Mar 2014 16:11

On server I dont have visual studio so I also dont have Code Review Board.
On Client I go to Code Review Board -> Options -> dont have Users tab because Iam not logged in.

AlexeyN
Devart Team

Post by AlexeyN » Thu 20 Mar 2014 12:10

You didn't add yourself as a Review Assistant user, that's why you can't login.

Unfortunately, there is no way to interact with the server without Visual Studio with installed Review Assistant (command line client only gets information from the server). We plan to create the Review Assistant server GUI to simplify such management tasks.

So, you should login to Review Assistant server using the administrator credentials (default is Admin/Admin). Go to the 'Users' tab, click the 'Active Directory' link and add all the needed users from it. After that, you will be able to login to the Review Assistant server using the Active Directory credentials: http://www.devart.com/review-assistant/ ... users.html

qboo

Post by qboo » Mon 24 Mar 2014 08:28

Thanks, it worked.