Active Directory link makes VS unresponsive

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding code review tool for Visual Studio – Review Assistant
sforcier

Active Directory link makes VS unresponsive

Post by sforcier » Fri 11 Jan 2013 14:57

Whenever I click on the "Active Directory..." link (Win7 32-bit, and I tried both VS2010 and VS2012) my IDE becomes unresponsive and I have to kill it.

I updated both the server and client this morning.

AlexeyN
Devart Team

Re: Active Directory link makes VS unresponsive

Post by AlexeyN » Fri 11 Jan 2013 15:27

Try to right click on any file -> Properties -> Security -> Edit -> Add -> Locations. And there select "Entire directory" and press "*". This operation will show you all Active Directory folders. How much time does the operation takes? Is there a lot of folders?

sforcier

Post by sforcier » Fri 11 Jan 2013 15:32

Opening the Locations window has a little pause (the first time it's opened), and pressing the asterisk key while "Entire Directory" didn't produce any noticeable effect, though the system remained responsive.

You are correct, however, in that we have a very large organization, and yes there are a fair number of folders.

sforcier

Post by sforcier » Mon 14 Jan 2013 14:50

I was a bit more patient with this and found that after roughly 25 minutes the AD window is displayed.

I've approximated the number of entries in "Location" at 3000 (24 per "page down" with 121 page downs).

Attempting a Find caused an error (which I didn't capture, sorry).

Since I understand the technical hurdle my particular case likely presents, my preference would be to simply type in usernames (e.g. "TCL\sforcier") and then have a search occur (similar to how SharePoint or the Security tab works).

AlexeyN
Devart Team

Post by AlexeyN » Tue 15 Jan 2013 16:59

We are working on a different mechanism for interaction with the Active Directory, that should increase performance greatly. We've created a small test application to investigate your case: http://sdrv.ms/W3KbVy . Please launch the application, specify target domain, click 'Get Users' and send us the result. Thank you in advance.
We receive 5000 users in 13 seconds on the test machine.

sforcier

Post by sforcier » Tue 15 Jan 2013 18:05

The results are certainly better. Here's what I got:
Get 7 domain(s): 17.192 secs <-- Startup
Get 7526 users: 61.683 secs <-- "Get users" with no filter
Get 2 users: 0.14 secs <-- "Get users" with a filter on 'Sid'
Get 205 users: 6.911 secs <-- "Get users" with a filter on 'e'

My preference would be to use the filter (as opposed to trying to navigate a tree/list of all users). I don't mind typing in the users' names... just my two cents.

AlexeyN
Devart Team

Post by AlexeyN » Wed 16 Jan 2013 13:37

Now we are working on futher Active Directory speed improvments and will include them to the next build. Thank you for your participation.