Does Review Assistant support integration with 3rd party code compare tool?

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding code review tool for Visual Studio – Review Assistant
ericlflau

Does Review Assistant support integration with 3rd party code compare tool?

Post by ericlflau » Mon 19 Nov 2012 19:01

I am considering getting Review Assistant for my development team, but I need to know if it will integrate nicely with Beyond Compare. I don't want to buy another code compare tool. Let me know. Thanks.

AlexeyN
Devart Team

Re: Does Review Assistant support integration with 3rd party code compare tool?

Post by AlexeyN » Tue 20 Nov 2012 11:30

Yes, you can integrate with the 3rd party code compare tool. Here you can read how to do this: http://www.devart.com/review-assistant/ ... stant.html

But note, that with another diff tool you will lose benefits of using Code Compare, such as the "Add comment to review" option in the context menu and visibility of open comments during the diff process.

ericlflau

Post by ericlflau » Tue 20 Nov 2012 16:56

Thanks. Follow-up question: Does a purchase of Review Assistant include Code Compare? What is the behavior of Review Assistant when comparing code if I don't have Code Compare, and I haven't set it up to use Beyond Compare?

AlexeyN
Devart Team

Post by AlexeyN » Wed 21 Nov 2012 11:49

> Does a purchase of Review Assistant include Code Compare?
No, it does not. There is a free version of Code Compare that, perhaps, meets all your needs for the review process in Review Assistance. You can compare features at the link below: http://www.devart.com/codecompare/featurematrix.html

> What is the behavior of Review Assistant when comparing code if I don't have Code Compare, and I haven't set it up to use Beyond Compare?

You can continue working with separate file revisions without ability to perform comparison operations.