pre-sales question

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for universal data access
dghundt

pre-sales question

Post by dghundt » Thu 15 Nov 2007 13:53

I have mydirect.net currently, which I am pleased with thank you.

I will need data access to postgres and microsoft sql soon. Is it better to just get the unidirect.net so I have all of these together? Or, is it better to buy postgres and mssql .net providers separately? Do I loose any functions (like full server acess over network)?

Alexey

Post by Alexey » Thu 15 Nov 2007 17:17

First of all you do not need to buy anything for MSSQL, because it is included into framework. Also, if you buy PostgreSQLDirect .NET, you can take UniDirect .NET for free.
The other aspect to take into account is functionality. UniDirect .NET doesn't support provider-specific features. Instead, it provide universal access.
So, I suggest you trying evaluation version of UniDirect .NET.

dghundt

Post by dghundt » Thu 15 Nov 2007 20:21

thank you.

If mssql is native to my visual studio 2005 standard, what does your sql direct.net do?

I have only the visual studio 2005 standard, so the server explorer is limited to the local host. One feature with your programs I like is 'full sql server capapbility' - which I believe includes tools for exploring/managing data on networked servers on the lan instead of just local host.

Do the corelab .net products have tools access to data servers that are not local host? Certainly, I can access networked servers with pure sql code, but these servers are not seen in the server explorer which has some nice shortcut tools.

Thanks again.

Alexey

Post by Alexey » Fri 16 Nov 2007 12:46

If mssql is native to my visual studio 2005 standard, what does your sql direct.net do?
SQLDirect .NET has advanced features like Interform, DataSet Wizard, DataSet Manager, DataSet Editor, SqlDataTable component, etc.
Do the corelab .net products have tools access to data servers that are not local host?
Both SQLDirect .NET and UniDirect .NET can access network servers from Server Explorer.