VS2017 -- Overall summary of file differences??

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding file and folder merge tool – Code Compare
knupug

VS2017 -- Overall summary of file differences??

Post by knupug » Tue 19 Jul 2022 20:27

Sorry for the newbie question: I'm comparing two 3,000+ line C# files from within Visual Studio 2017. I believe they are identical except for a change in the way {} are used to indicate code blocks. I've set all of the options needed so that those changes are ignored, and I've turned on Structural code comparison.

I can tell by the highlighting that the comparison is doing what I want, which is ignoring those differences. However, the scroll bar on the right and the "Next Change" menu item still select all of the lines where there is a textual difference, even though those textual differences aren't being highlighted by the comparison algorithm.

So, I feel like I'm being forced to scroll through the entire file looking for any highlighted differences because the textual differences are being flagged by the scroll tools, even though they aren't being flagged by the analysis.

My question: Is there some menu item I can select that will give me some kind of summary of the comparison, for example, no changes, or one difference detected.

Thanks, MikeP