Set Code Compare with Visual Studio 2017 and Git

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding file and folder merge tool – Code Compare
[email protected]

Set Code Compare with Visual Studio 2017 and Git

Post by [email protected] » Mon 22 Oct 2018 16:15

Hi,
I am using Visual Studio 2017 (v15.8.6) as my development tool. I also use the built-in git plugin to use TFS-Git as my repository. I was able to set Code Compare as my Compare/Merge Tool on a per soltuion basis by modifying the config file in the .git folder (hidden) in the Solutions folder. This is working. When I choose the compare link in Team Explorer, it opens Code Compare with the right files in the windows.

As for setting Code Compare globally for all solutions, I am clueless. One of the https://www.devart.com/codecompare/integration_git.html on a post on this forum suggested to edit the gitconfig file located in C:\Users\MyLogin\.gitconfig folder. But I can't find this folder on my machine. MyLogin folder does not exist in the Users folder.

What should I do to make Code Compare work globablly with git in Visual Studio 2017?

SvetlanaL

Re: Set Code Compare with Visual Studio 2017 and Git

Post by SvetlanaL » Mon 29 Oct 2018 09:56

The 'My Login' folder means your username folder. You can use the %UserName% environment variable (C:\Users\%UserName%).