Merge from Visual Studio 2017 and git

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding file and folder merge tool – Code Compare
PatConnelly

Merge from Visual Studio 2017 and git

Post by PatConnelly » Wed 26 Apr 2017 19:43

Hello,

I am using Code Compare 4.2.221 and Visual Studio 2017.1 (26403.7). I have Code Compare configured as my diff/merge tool in the global git config.

When I have a merge conflict in VS, I click on the Compare Files link at it starts Code Compare, but only in standard diff mode, no three-way merge. I know the config file is correct because if I run it from other git tools, such as SourceTree, it opens correctly as a merge.

I have tried this using both the Code Compare VS addin, and having Studio start the stand-alone Code Compare, with the same results.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Patrick

SvetlanaL

Re: Merge from Visual Studio 2017 and git

Post by SvetlanaL » Thu 27 Apr 2017 15:08

Hi, Patrick

It looks like your trial has expired. The three-way text comparison and merge is a paid feature and after the trial period it is available only in Professional Edition. Please check your license info in Code Compare -Help -About and post this information here.

PatConnelly

Re: Merge from Visual Studio 2017 and git

Post by PatConnelly » Thu 27 Apr 2017 17:30

Svetlana,

Nevermind. I was clicking on the "Compare Files" link in Studio. I didn't even notice the Merge button since everything else was a link. That worked as expected.

So It's either user-error, or a poor interface design in Studio. I'll go with the later.

Thanks for your help,

Patrick