Code Compare starts very slow, normal?

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding file and folder merge tool – Code Compare
privatepyle

Re: Code Compare starts very slow, normal?

Post by privatepyle » Thu 19 Mar 2015 15:42

Well then, let's see how fast Compare++ is starting. Maybe they have other priorities.

privatepyle

Post by privatepyle » Wed 12 Aug 2015 09:52

Are there any news here? Our subscription is up for renewal, but at that speed it ain't of any use...

If there isn't a solution within a month, then we'll switch to Compare++

flobergs

Post by flobergs » Thu 02 Nov 2017 10:43

We are using current version of Code Compare and expericensing this issue/problem, that opening comparison window takes long.

1.) We want to use Visual Studio integrated Code Compare window, but with current version it takes too long opening/starting a comparison, with a wait time from 5 to 10 seconds on a state of the art development machine. We also tried switch "Prevent Code Compare closing", but it does not help here. dotTrace-performance analyzation states that you loose at least 2 seconds alone only in your code when calling Devart.FileCompare.MemoryTrackService.CheckMemory(FileCompareUnit unit) from Devart.FileCompare.FileCompareUnit.CreateComparableHost()...

flobergs

Post by flobergs » Thu 02 Nov 2017 10:48

(As additon to my previous post) Please note that allmost all execution time of CheckMemory is wasted for "garbage collection", as dotTrace-performance-analysis measured.

mstislavs
Devart Team

Post by mstislavs » Tue 07 Nov 2017 13:04

flobergs wrote:We are using current version of Code Compare and expericensing this issue/problem, that opening comparison window takes long.

1.) We want to use Visual Studio integrated Code Compare window, but with current version it takes too long opening/starting a comparison, with a wait time from 5 to 10 seconds on a state of the art development machine. We also tried switch "Prevent Code Compare closing", but it does not help here. dotTrace-performance analyzation states that you loose at least 2 seconds alone only in your code when calling Devart.FileCompare.MemoryTrackService.CheckMemory(FileCompareUnit unit) from Devart.FileCompare.FileCompareUnit.CreateComparableHost()...
Thank you for reporting the performance issue. Please provide us the files with which the issue reproduces using the following form:
https://www.devart.com/company/contactf ... odecompare

Best regards,
Mstislav Sakidon
Devart Team
www.devart.com

justdev

Post by justdev » Thu 28 May 2020 09:11

Same showstopper issue here: CC 5.3.231 (latest), integration with VS2019 (compare inline in IDE), very powerful computer and on a tiny project the DIFF action takes at least 5 secs to open code compare window. In code compare`s settings, there is no suggested 'Prevent code compare closing' option but 'Prevent Visual Studio closing' and it`s checked.

Is there any way to fix this?

ekaterinag
Devart Team

Post by ekaterinag » Mon 01 Jun 2020 08:43

Hi. There could be delays in Visual Studio since Code Compare uses full documents with all functionality of Visual Studio, also delays may be caused by other extensions integrated into the documents.
Do you require intellisense for comparison?

justdev

Post by justdev » Sun 14 Feb 2021 23:50

No, I don`t. Actually, I`m looking for any suggestion/command line switch that will speed the CC up, so please suggest everything related to CC settings because the VS2019 itself and all the installed extensions are working very fast (i.e. no other extension could be the issue).

ekaterinag
Devart Team

Post by ekaterinag » Wed 03 Mar 2021 07:14

Hi,
Please submit a request to the support team via a contact form (https://www.devart.com/company/contactf ... odecompare) including all information about your environment, VS, CC, their settings, file samples, and the way you open them and how long it takes. A screen video of the opening process would be a huge help too.

MJohn

Post by MJohn » Thu 27 May 2021 14:34

I'm surprised this issue is still outstanding after years of reports.

I'm having this exact issue with CC 5.3 / VS 2019 1.10. I have a higher end developer machine and everything else works nearly instantaniously except compares. What I'm experiencing is, if I reboot, the first handful of compares are speedy as expected, but the longer my system is running, the slower they get. The last one I ran took 5 minutes (yes *minutes*) to run on a very small file. I have the setting turned on to not close CC and minimize it to the system tray. I launch all of my comparisons from inside VS which opens CC in its own UI. Interestingly enough, if the files are identical, the compare is nearly instant with the popup saying they are the same. Something is happening once the file is loaded for an actual compare if they are different and its something that gets worse over time.

DmitriyB
Devart Team

Post by DmitriyB » Fri 25 Jun 2021 13:47

MJohn wrote: Thu 27 May 2021 14:34 I'm surprised this issue is still outstanding after years of reports.

I'm having this exact issue with CC 5.3 / VS 2019 1.10. I have a higher end developer machine and everything else works nearly instantaniously except compares. What I'm experiencing is, if I reboot, the first handful of compares are speedy as expected, but the longer my system is running, the slower they get. The last one I ran took 5 minutes (yes *minutes*) to run on a very small file. I have the setting turned on to not close CC and minimize it to the system tray. I launch all of my comparisons from inside VS which opens CC in its own UI. Interestingly enough, if the files are identical, the compare is nearly instant with the popup saying they are the same. Something is happening once the file is loaded for an actual compare if they are different and its something that gets worse over time.
Thank you for reporting the performance issue.

Please check the system resource consumption by Code Compare via the Task Manager and provide us with the screenshot. Also, send us the screenshot for your settings in Visual Studio Performance Manager.

You can submit your request with the information requested using the following form:
https://www.devart.com/company/contactf ... 1618326466

Best regards,
Dmitry
Devart Team
www.devart.com

sbone

Post by sbone » Fri 20 Aug 2021 13:33

I have an idea for DevArt. Please post an example of real-world use that you consider acceptable performance, including the specs of the PC and your timings. If our real-world use experiences differs from that, we will send diagnostic data.

I have not found a single example where startup time is what I would consider not excessive. I am surprised you need us to provide diagnostic data when this is the norm, not the exception.

DmitriyB
Devart Team

Post by DmitriyB » Thu 02 Sep 2021 10:10

sbone wrote: Fri 20 Aug 2021 13:33 I have an idea for DevArt. Please post an example of real-world use that you consider acceptable performance, including the specs of the PC and your timings. If our real-world use experiences differs from that, we will send diagnostic data.

I have not found a single example where startup time is what I would consider not excessive. I am surprised you need us to provide diagnostic data when this is the norm, not the exception.

Hello

Thank you for your request.

Unfortunately, it is not clear from your description what kind of example you wish to receive. Kindly describe your use case in more detail and specify the feature you are interested in.

Best regards,
Dmitry
Devart Team
www.devart.com