Tabs, focus cycling, and text editing

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding file and folder merge tool – Code Compare
tri10

Tabs, focus cycling, and text editing

Post by tri10 » Wed 16 Apr 2014 18:56

Hi there,

First off, Code Compare is very impressive... reasonable licencing terms and reasonable cost for the 3-way merging upgrade. I'm quite pleased I found it.

My question regards the new TAB key behaviour of cycling focus. Unfortunately I can't seem
to turn it off. I'm sure it's a great feature for some (who work with a codebase that uses spaces) but it makes it hard to edit files. I need to either ctrl-C ctrl-V a tab character, or select some text first. The drastically different behaviour between having something selected and not seems... well drastic ;)

I tried adding:
<Shortcut Name="IncreaseIndent" Group="TextEditor" FirstKey="Tab" />
<Shortcut Name="DecreaseIndent" Group="TextEditor" FirstKey="Shift+Tab" />
to a settings file (incidentally, it is impossible to remap this in the UI cuz the assign-key box doesn't seem to consume the keystrokes) but that only half solves things cuz you can only add/remove tabs at the beginning of the line.

Right now I'm using version 280 without this issue... but I'd rather be current. In short, my questions are:

a) Is there a way to disable the tab-cycling to get the old behaviour? Maybe with a shortcut that "inserts a tab"?
b) If yes great! If not will you add one in a future release?
c) If yes to 'willing to add'... if I purchase a pro version, can you send me the previous v4.0 release without the tab cycling?

Thanks!!

AlexeyN
Devart Team

Re: Tabs, focus cycling, and text editing

Post by AlexeyN » Fri 18 Apr 2014 10:46

Hello. We are quite impressed by your investigations. We plan to release for two weeks the new Code Compare build where we will add the option to change behavior of the focus cycling.

tri10

Post by tri10 » Mon 21 Apr 2014 07:25

Super. Thanks so much. You have another customer ;)

tri10

Post by tri10 » Wed 14 May 2014 18:15

New version works great btw. Thx.