Error running comparison in VS2010 with UAC enabled

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding file and folder merge tool – Code Compare
jeremyrfoster

Error running comparison in VS2010 with UAC enabled

Post by jeremyrfoster » Thu 30 Jun 2011 14:39

My corporate policy forces me to keep UAC turned on. If I run VS2010 as an administrator, then I can launch a CodeCompare session (right click file > Compare...) without a problem. If I don't run VS2010 as an administrator, then it doesn't work. When I compare files, VS2010 waits for a couple of minutes and then displays a dialog box indicating that "CodeCompare is not responding. Perhaps you are trying to run the environment for the first time after install, in this case wait until the end of the run."
Choosing Run as Administrator each time I launch VS2010 is not a sustainable option in my opinion, so does anyone have another workaround in mind?
I have tried:
-Setting my VS2010 taskbar item to Run as Administrator each time automatically (for some reason this doesn't work... same error)
-Opening permissions (granting Modify to Everyone) on VS2010 and CodeCompare program folders

Thanks!

Artem
Devart Team

Post by Artem » Tue 05 Jul 2011 13:49

We apologize for the delay.
We performed the actions described by you, yet failed to reproduce the error. However, we have found another problem - if one launches Visual Studio as administrator and tries to call comparison from non-admin application (e.g. Windows Explorer), a message "Environment does not contain CodeCompare listener services. Please reinstall CodeCompare" is displayed. According to you, everything works fine when you run Visual Studio as administrator. Does this mean that you launch comparison from another admin application or Visual Studio itself (via solution explorer or some add-in)? We would be glad to receive any details concerning the error reproduction.

jeremyrfoster

Error on Compare

Post by jeremyrfoster » Thu 21 Jul 2011 16:46

I do not run into the error that you mentioned. I do have some new information regarding my original error. I have done a complete reinstall of Win7 (for other reasons) and am not under a group policy of any kind. I have a clean install of VS2010 and then a clean install of CodeCompare (choosing to include VS2010 integration). Since I am not under group policy, I am running VS2010 under elevated priveleges.
CodeCompare works standalone and can be launched from VS2010 | Tools | CodeCompare, but when I go to Pending Checkins and launch comparison of a file or to Solution Explorer and choose right click | Compare, I get the same message as before: "CodeCompare is not responding. Perhaps you are trying to run the environment for the first time after install, in this case wait until the end of the run."
The strange thing is that it has worked since my reinstallation of Windows, VS, and CC, but it's not working now.
Is there anyway you can look up when/why CC would throw this message so we can trace down why this would be affecting me? Does CC have to access my source control system at all? I would guess that it doesn't and that VS handles this.
Thanks.

jeremyrfoster

Additionally

Post by jeremyrfoster » Thu 21 Jul 2011 17:15

As additional information for troubleshooting...
When I choose to show the comparison of a file in VS, I can then explore to c:\users\(username)\appdata\temp and see that the comparison file IS being created by VS (from source control). If I execute essentially the same command that VS is supposed to execute account to the differencing option:

"c:\program files (x86)\devart\CodeCompare\CodeCompare.exe" "c:\users\(username)\appdata\temp\myfile.cs" "c:\users\(username)\documents\myfile.cs"

...it works. It opens the comparison in CodeCompare just fine. So I really don't know what's going on.

Artem
Devart Team

Post by Artem » Fri 22 Jul 2011 14:35

Which source control add-in do you use? In case it blocks Visual Studio when the files are sent for comparison, you should specify the command line option /b (or /blocked). This way your comparison will be opened in another environment.

jeremyrfoster

Source Control System

Post by jeremyrfoster » Fri 22 Jul 2011 14:49

I'm using VSS. I'll try the /b and keep my fingers crossed. Thanks.

Artem
Devart Team

Post by Artem » Fri 22 Jul 2011 15:33

You can read about integration with VSS at http://www.devart.com/codecompare/integ ... s2005.html