Environment does not contain CodeCompare listener services.

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding file and folder merge tool – Code Compare
Ralph

Post by Ralph » Thu 21 Apr 2011 16:09

A few months ago I installed CodeCompare 2.50.13. I have Tortoise SVN and VS2010 with Ankh SVN and everything was working together very well (fantastic, this set was making source control operations very easy).

When I try to upgrade CodeCompare to ANY newer version I experience the following problem:
When I right click a modified file in VS2010 Solution Explorer and choose "Show changes", the following message is displayed:

Devart.CodeCompare
Please reinstall CodeCompare.

Of course reinstalling / uninstalling / clean installing doesn't help, the only way to get CodeCompare working is to install version 2.50.13.
Any idea what's wrong?

Artem
Devart Team

Post by Artem » Fri 22 Apr 2011 09:50

Maybe you've specified codecomp.exe in the AnkhSVN settings, which are supported for compatibility only until version 2.50.4

Also please check the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\Packages\{f166fe7b-79a2-450a-92d8-7339424328d7}\

If you check the "Integrate to Visual Studio 2010" option in the installation wizard, the CodeBase value in this key should contain a valid path to Devart.CodeCompare.Ipc.Vs.10.dll

If you didn't choose the Visual Studio integration, this key should not exist.

Ralph

Post by Ralph » Tue 03 May 2011 08:18

Sorry for not giving a sign of life for such a long time, I've just returned from my holiday.

I haven't specified codecomp.exe in the AnkhSVN settings, the only place codecomp.exe is mentioned is VS2010 -> Tools -> Options -> Source Control -> Subversion User Tools.

After installing the newest version of CodeCompare with the VS2010 integration option checked, the registry key mentioned by you is not created, all I have is

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\

This key contains only one key: Debugger, not a trace of Packages key.

Artem
Devart Team

Post by Artem » Thu 05 May 2011 11:09

It looks like you are using 64-bit system. If so, check the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\Packages\{f166fe7b-79a2-450a-92d8-7339424328d7}\
Please answer some other questions:
1. What version of AnkhSVN are you using (you can learn it from Help->About Microsoft Visual Studio)?
2. Can you create new comparison document using the CodeCompare toolbar?

Ralph

Post by Ralph » Thu 05 May 2011 11:22

The registry entry for the 64-bit system exists and CodeBase entry contains a valid path to Devart.CodeCompare.Ipc.Vs.10.dll. I'm using Window 7 64-bit.

1. AnkhSVN version 2.1.10129.17

2. Yes, I can create a new comparison document using the CodeCompare toolbar.

Artem
Devart Team

Post by Artem » Thu 05 May 2011 13:57

We cannot reproduce this issue.

Try to specify the following settings in Tools->Options->Subversion User Tools->External Diff Tool->Other:
"$(ProgramFiles)\Devart\CodeCompare\CodeCompare.exe" /SC=SVN /t1="$(BaseName)" /t2="$(MineName)" "$(Base)" "$(Mine)"

Can you open the file comparison via windows explorer context menu?

What type of files did you attempt to compare?

Ralph

Post by Ralph » Thu 05 May 2011 14:22

I don't understand it... It suddenly started to work!

In the External Diff Tool options I had precisely the same command as in your post. Just for curiosity I clicked the drop down button of the Combo Box and selected "Devart CodeCompare" from the list, accepted the changes. Then everything started to work!
Now it doesn't matter if I select the "Devart CodeCompare" entry or select "Other" and type the command manually, everything just works.

Is it possible that switching the External Diff Tool to a predefined option healed the system? Magic...

Jochen

Same problem here

Post by Jochen » Fri 01 Jul 2011 08:15

Hi,

I also get the message "Environment does not contain CodeCompare listener services. Please reinstall CodeCompare." and a reinstall did not solved it.

I'am using W7 Enterprise x64, VS2010 Pro SP1, CodeCompare 2.60.9, TortoiseSVN 1.6.8.19260 (64 bit) and AnkhSVN 2.1.10129.17.

Running CodeCompare from inside of Visual Studio works fine. Running it as single standalone application using the start menu, windows context menu or the SVN context menu works too. But when I have Visual Studio running and try to run CodeCompare from context menu or SVN I get the error message about the missing listener services. After closing Visual Studio CodeCompare works correctly.

Any ideas?

Artem
Devart Team

Post by Artem » Tue 05 Jul 2011 13:50

We apologize for the delay.
Perhaps the problem was caused by use of User Account Control (UAC) (see. http://www.devart.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21398). We would be glad to receive any details concerning reproduction from you.

Jochen

Post by Jochen » Wed 06 Jul 2011 14:46

I'm logged in as a normal user, but running Visual Studio as Administrator (because of a project in the solution that requires this).

If I run Visual Studio under the current logged in user account, CodeCompare works from inside and outside of Visual Studio. I can compare two files out of windows explorer by clicking "Compare with CodeCompare" in the context menu, showing up the comparison in Visual Studio or CodeCompare-Application, depending on what is open / I choose in the selection window of CodeCompare.

But if I run Visual Studio with the option "Run as Administrator", CodeCompare only works from inside of Visual Studio (if I click on Show Changes or History for example). If I try to compare two files using the context menu in windows explorer, I get the error message "Environment does not contain CodeCompare listener services...".

gcm

Post by gcm » Mon 16 Jan 2012 18:16

i can reproduce jochen's issues exactly. devart, are you working on this? this is a big pain to deal with!

thanks!
Jochen wrote:I'm logged in as a normal user, but running Visual Studio as Administrator (because of a project in the solution that requires this).

If I run Visual Studio under the current logged in user account, CodeCompare works from inside and outside of Visual Studio. I can compare two files out of windows explorer by clicking "Compare with CodeCompare" in the context menu, showing up the comparison in Visual Studio or CodeCompare-Application, depending on what is open / I choose in the selection window of CodeCompare.

But if I run Visual Studio with the option "Run as Administrator", CodeCompare only works from inside of Visual Studio (if I click on Show Changes or History for example). If I try to compare two files using the context menu in windows explorer, I get the error message "Environment does not contain CodeCompare listener services...".

Jochen

Post by Jochen » Tue 17 Jan 2012 15:32

This issue seems not to be fixed, even in the latest version 2.70.4.

A small workaround is starting another standalone Code Compare GUI beside Visual Studio. A compare invoked from windows explorer context menu then opens inside the standalone window.

Anyway, it would be really really nice to see this annoying issue fixed!

Artem
Devart Team

Post by Artem » Tue 17 Jan 2012 16:35

The fix of this issue is planned for the release of next version of Code Compare.

Jochen

Post by Jochen » Tue 10 Apr 2012 08:15

Even after upgrading to version 2.70.7 this issue still exists for me.