Configuring code compare as the Team Foundation default comp

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding file and folder merge tool – Code Compare
jader3rd

Configuring code compare as the Team Foundation default comp

Post by jader3rd » Thu 20 Jan 2011 17:24

I configured Code Compare to be my default compare tool for Team Foundation. This is acceptable for use with tfpt review, but it doesn't work with the tf diff command.
If I call tf diff, the compare comes up in Visual Studio 2010 like I expect it to. But then nothing else happens. I can close the first compare, but control never returns to the cmd shell. It's hung in the tf diff command.

Artem
Devart Team

Post by Artem » Fri 21 Jan 2011 14:52

Unfortunately, we cannot reproduce the issue. Did you configure TFS as descibed at http://www.devart.com/codecompare/integ ... n_tfs.html or in some other way?

Also try to do following opearations:
  1. Create in some folder two text files 1.txt and 2.txt, and batch file test.bat:

Code: Select all

"%programfiles%\devart\codecompare\codecompare.exe" /SC=TFS /W 1.txt 2.txt
  2. Open Visual Studio 2010
  3. Launch test.bat
  4. Close comparison document
Does the batch file finish its work in this case?

jader3rd

Post by jader3rd » Fri 21 Jan 2011 18:29

I hadn't configured CodeCompare like how it suggested. Now I have, but the problem still remains.
If Visual Studio 2010 is open and I run
tf diff . /r
The first compare will open in Visual Studio. I can close the compare, and the command still hangs. I have to close Visual Studio for it to open the compare, but it doens't open it in Visual Studio, it opens it in Code Compare.
If Visual Studio 2010 isn't open, the first compare will cause Code Compare to open, and then when I close the compare the next compare will open in the same instance of Code Compare.
So it kind of forces me to close Visual Studio to compare anything.

Artem
Devart Team

Post by Artem » Mon 24 Jan 2011 14:17

We have tried to reproduce the issue with our latest version (2.50.12). After the first comparison closing, next comparison opens successfully.

We would be very much obliged if you help us to reproduce the issue. Try to do operations as I describe in my previous post. If the bug is not reproduced in that case, tell us what kind of changes were made in your working directory.

As a workaround you can force to open comparisons in standalone application specifying in command line additional argument /environment=standalone

jader3rd

Post by jader3rd » Tue 25 Jan 2011 21:24

I followed the directions and it still hangs. I'm just going to have to work from the stand alone I guess.