PgDump and inherited tables

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding PgDAC (PostgreSQL Data Access Components) for Delphi, C++Builder, Lazarus (and FPC)
gside

PgDump and inherited tables

Post by gside » Wed 12 Aug 2020 16:20

Hello,

I need to perform a dump of a simple schema, but with inherited tables.
Regardless of the options I tried, the sql provided by the pgDump component does not handle inherited tables:
- the create table statement doesn't include the inherits (mySchema.myTable) statement
- the base table is managed as if it was a regular table, i.e. insert statements are generated for this table but they should not
- the base table is created in the middle of the script, but it should be created first, as other tables inherit from it

How can I proceed to generate sql dump that takes into account inherited tables?

Edit: I use the latest pgDac version 6.2.4, and postgre 12

Thanks!
g.

oleg0k
Devart Team

Re: PgDump and inherited tables

Post by oleg0k » Fri 14 Aug 2020 12:09

Hello,

Inherited tables are not supported in TPgDump.
You can request this feature on our UserVoice page: https://devart.uservoice.com/forums/104 ... y_id=18923
Feature suggestions that receive more votes are given higher priority on our roadmap.

wbr, Oleg
Devart Team

gside

Post by gside » Fri 14 Aug 2020 13:39

Well, that's not good news. I suggest that you update the pgdac features webpage, and the online documentation page, to communicate on this limitation.

Ok for UserVoice, I'll post a feature request.

I need to duplicate a schema (structure and data), ie schema1 needs to be duplicated to schema2. This is not a maintenance operation that could be done manually by using the pg_dump utility. It has to be done through the Delphi app, by the app admin.
What should be your recommended way to do this with PgDac components?

Thanks,

oleg0k
Devart Team

Post by oleg0k » Tue 18 Aug 2020 13:08

Hello,

As we wrote earlier, PgDump doesn't support inherited tables. You can request this feature on our UserVoice page https://devart.uservoice.com/forums/104 ... y_id=18923 - features that receive more upvotes, are given higher priority on our roadmap.

wbr, Oleg
Devart Team

gside

Post by gside » Fri 21 Aug 2020 07:59

Hello,

In my last message, I was not asking for an advice on how to duplicate a schema with pgDump, but with pgDAC.

Nevertheless, I have writen a pgDump alternative.

Have a nice day