(re)installing PgDAC and MyDAC side by side

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding PgDAC (PostgreSQL Data Access Components) for Delphi, C++Builder, Lazarus (and FPC)
John Smith22

(re)installing PgDAC and MyDAC side by side

Post by John Smith22 » Mon 24 Nov 2014 09:16

Hi,

I recently acquired the PgDAC data components and want to install them in Delphi XE5 where MyDAC is already installed. I got a warning that the installed version of MyDAC was incompatible with PgDAC.
So I downloaded the most recent version of both components.

Now I remember some issues that caused problems when uninstalling/reinstalling MyDAC due to leftovers files of previous installations that were not correctly uninstalled (see my posts of 13-nov-2013). Is this still the case, or is it just invoking the uninstaller?

In other words: are there any do's and dont's in this situation?

azyk
Devart Team

Re: (re)installing PgDAC and MyDAC side by side

Post by azyk » Tue 25 Nov 2014 13:24

Please uninstall MyDAC for RAD Studio XE5, from your computer. Then install the latest MyDAC and PgDAC versions in turn. After that, you will be able to use MyDAC and PgDAC on the same RAD Studio version.

Note: currently, for usage on the same RAD Studio, the compatible versions are MyDAC 8.4.12 and PgDAC 4.4.12 .

John Smith22

Post by John Smith22 » Mon 01 Dec 2014 10:10

I know, but the question was whether the uninstall program of MyDAC now correctly does the job and removes the complete installation, or that (still) any manual deletion of orphan files is needed.

I ask this on beforehand because I cannot afford this machine to be unproductive.

azyk
Devart Team

Post by azyk » Thu 04 Dec 2014 11:57

MyDAC uninstaller deletes only files created by MyDAC installer (the components, RAD Studio environmental variables, files). If after installation any changes were made manually, such as: MyDAC libraries were copied to another fodler, MyDAC library standard paths were modified, etc., then such modifications will be missed by the MyDAC uninstaller. If you haven't made such changes to MyDAC, then uninstalaltion of your current version and installation of the new one (using MyDAC uninstaller and installer respectively) will be successful.