PgDAC and server-side cursor support

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding PgDAC (PostgreSQL Data Access Components) for Delphi, C++Builder, Lazarus (and FPC)
krystian

PgDAC and server-side cursor support

Post by krystian » Thu 05 Dec 2013 07:27

Hi,

I've found question on SO:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4711 ... tch-lookup

and the answer:
Hello,

Now PgDAC can't use server-side cursor as you want. We will investigate the possibility of adding this feature in one of the next builds/versions of PgDAC.

Best regards, Alex Devart Team www.devart.com
Does something changed from then (2y ago)?

I need it because of heavily usage of Table.SetRange/FindKey/Locate in our current application.
Without it, opening table fetch all rows. I know that I can set FetchAll=False, but if I make FindKey (with for example last record), then it loads whole table into client app memory. Same with Table.Append, loads whole table.
Also I'm aware of FilterSQL property, but it would require a lot of re-factoring.

AlexP
Devart Team

Re: PgDAC and server-side cursor support

Post by AlexP » Mon 09 Dec 2013 09:42

Hello,

This feature is added to our roadmap, however, it is not a priority and we cannot tell the exact terms of its implementation. However, we have already implemented and will add to the new version a new feature - SmartFetch, which allows to navigate through a large amount of records (by key fields) with no need to fetch all the fields (except key fields) to a client if not required.