any plans to support this new PG 9.2 feature?

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding PgDAC (PostgreSQL Data Access Components) for Delphi, C++Builder, Lazarus (and FPC)
snorkel

any plans to support this new PG 9.2 feature?

Post by snorkel » Mon 10 Sep 2012 22:51

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/stat ... -mode.html

Been waiting for this for a long time, prior to this PostgreSQL would return the entire
result sent which on large queries was super slow.

bork
Devart Team

Re: any plans to support this new PG 9.2 feature?

Post by bork » Fri 14 Sep 2012 13:36

Hello

You can leave a suggestion to implement such functionality at our UserVoice page ( http://devart.uservoice.com/forums/1046 ... postgresql ), and the more users vote for your suggestion, the faster we implement the functionality.

dschuch

Post by dschuch » Wed 13 Feb 2013 17:38

hm,

i ask me: what is the differnece to cursor fetch? this feature is working fine with DevArt.

anyone knows some documentation where i can read that?

daniel.

AlexP
Devart Team

Post by AlexP » Thu 14 Feb 2013 13:53

hello,

Please describe in more detail what you mean by "differnece to cursor fetch"?

snorkel

Post by snorkel » Mon 25 Feb 2013 22:01

Cursor fetch does not return one row at a time, it returns the entire result set as far as I remember, prior to 9.2 postgresql could not return 1 row at a time from a function etc and
that could cause slowness issues because if the result set was large you had to wait for the entire thing to be transferred to your client. With the one row at a time your UI can start updating immediately.

AlexP
Devart Team

Post by AlexP » Tue 26 Feb 2013 14:02

Hello,

For the time being, PgDAC doesn't support this functionality. We added your suggestion to our roadmap, however, we cannot nominate the exact terms of the implementation, this will depend on the number of voices at Uservoice.

dschuch

Post by dschuch » Tue 05 Mar 2013 07:08

snorkel wrote:Cursor fetch does not return one row at a time, it returns the entire result set as far as I remember, prior to 9.2 postgresql could not return 1 row at a time from a function etc and
that could cause slowness issues because if the result set was large you had to wait for the entire thing to be transferred to your client. With the one row at a time your UI can start updating immediately.
no thats not right. cursor fetch returns as much rows as you say.
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/stat ... rsors.html

PgDAC supports this feature very well. The problem with CursorFetch is that you always need a transaction.

I'm confused why there is a new feature "single row mode" - still can't see a difference. (AlexP i mean the difference of the feature on PostgreSQL-side, not on DevArt)

AlexP
Devart Team

Post by AlexP » Tue 05 Mar 2013 13:12

Hello,

Yes, for the time being, line-by-line reading can be organized by means of PgDAC using the FetchAll (set to False) and FetchRows (set to 1) properties. To work with refcursor, independently on these properties values, a transaction must be started. But we cannot ensure similarity of this behaviour to the new functionality, since we haven't fully explored the new PostgreSQL 9.2 features.

dschuch

Post by dschuch » Tue 05 Mar 2013 17:25

Yes, thats what i mean.

I can't find any informations about the differences of this 2 PostgreSQL features as well.

Have a nice evening.